good book ideas - music reading for guitar students

• Members

Hey all,

What are some good book ideas for intermediate/advanced music reading for guitar? I really want my students to develop good fluency with regular music notation and not just tabs, so they can function in the real music world and get more and better playing opportunities. And I've always struggled with what to use after they get through the first Mel Bay book, and I don't want to have them solely rely on tabs for the rest of they musical lives. Ideally I'd like something that deals with different positions on the neck, as intermediate/advanced rhythms and time signatures.

I searched on Amazon and found these titles and they all look pretty goo. Anybody have experience with these or others?

Music Reading for Guitar (The Complete Method) by David Oakes

Guitarist's Guide to Music Reading: Bridging the Gap Between the Neck and Notation by Chris Buono

Advanced Reading Studies for Guitar: Guitar Technique by William Leavitt

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any experience with the first two, but I did work through the Leavitt one a lot when I was in college. It's pretty dry, and the musical examples are a bit dated sounding, so it was the only book I've used that actually focused on position-specific reading.

Generally with my students, I just have them work on actual songs that are in notation only, and force them to figure it out (with assistance, of course). Usually simple things first, like lead sheets to jazz standards, or other styles of music. So not chords or guitar parts, but melodies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I found Tommy Tedesco's book "For Guitar Players Only" has some very practical ways to learn the skills needed to be a professional guitarist.

His approach to sight reading and learning the fingerboard made things a lot clearer for me and, although I don't reference the book directly, I use a lot of it with my students.

The book may not be for everyone so I recommend you check it out for yourself first and decide which of your students could benefit.

https://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Tedesco-Guitar-Players-Only/dp/0739053817

Archived