Can you help me find the key of a song?? This might be a doozy.

• Members

Theory is not my strong point, but looking for any advice here. My friend wrote a melody with the notes below. This is on piano btw. She is looking for chords to go along with this melody but can't seem to find anything that works. Looking for any key(s) that might work here, or even better some chords that I can play on guitar or that she can play on piano with her left hand. Thanks for any input. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

The melody goes C, D#, G#, F, G, G#, G, F, D#, C#, C, D#, D#, A#

So culling out the individual notes, we have... C, C#, D#, F, G, G#, A#

• Members

Try C Db Eb F G Ab Bb. Now you got something closer to C minor with a flat II (Db) to work with. Jon R could lay it out better but I'd say when sketching melodic ideas, you don't have to be or stay in a key per se. You can for instance just go with the intervalic movement and any chords those may suggest.

Oh, silly me. The most common scales you have are the Ab Maj. or the relative F min.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

wait, why does it have to be in a Tonal key? it doesn't have to be! if the usual chords built from triads don't fit well, then don't use that system. you can build an interesting harmonic texture any number of ways that doesn't involve triads. you can be creative. and since it's piano, you definitely need to experiment with spacing of the notes...everything gets so muddy and ugly when played in its middle range - if the melody is mostly in the middle, put the harmony at the extremes and in many cases, odd textures can sound alot clearer and more interestng.

Archived