Playing over chord changes

• Members

So i'm really trying to develop this skill, as I feel it will unlock an effective way to view solos and lead melodies. I have a specific question for the good folks here that are more seasoned that I at lead guitar:

I have a simple chord progression: Am / G / F / G

So I start with a little Am arpeggio thing, which can carry nicely to the G chord for the sake of fluidity. Then I get to the F chord. The question becomes with regards to this melody i'm creating and whether to use B or B flat. I know I know, use whatever sound I want to make, but that answer isn't overly helpful :) As a guideline, would you stick with B natural since the progression is in Am and that is the diatonic note to the key? Or would you be more prone to using the B flat since that's the perfect 4th in to F, which is the chord being played?

In summary - chord tones or scale in the key?

btw, playing the B flat didn't sound right to me. That should give me the answer, I know, but it also bothered me since i'm trying to play the changes more and noodle in Am pentatonic / Am natural less.

Thanks for reading, your input is appreciated so much!

• Members

A chord is not a key. So there's no reason to think of F as separate from the others. It can be harmonised from the A minor scale, as can both the other chords, so stick to the same scale.

IOW, the key is A minor, and there is nothing in this progression to suggest otherwise. So need to deviate from that.

Not only is there no need, it's more difficult and will sound wrong to do so! So staying with A minor is what they call a win-win. (OK, in this case, using Bb instead of B is not exactly difficult, but in some case where you might consider changing scale to the key of chord, it will be harder, and will probably sound more wrong.)

In any case, you answered the question yourself - or rather your ears told you - when you noticed the Bb sounded wrong. Trust your ears! They always know more theory than you do ;).

I do understand your desire to get beyond the basic A minor (pent) riffing :). The answer is to introduce a chromatic or two. In A blues you already do this when adding an Eb to the minor pent. Try doing that on the F chord, which will give a fruity bluesy F7 sound.

To get more jazzy, you can add any note a half-step below any chord tone, if you follow it with the chord tone. You can also use any chromatic half-step in the middle of a diatonic whole step, in a scale run. Just try it - and as usual use your ear to judge which chromatics work (and when) and which don't.

Think of it like a recipe. The A minor scale (in this case) is the main ingredients; the chords (between them) give you those. Not tasty enough? Try a little salt, pepper, herbs or spices (chromatics). Just don't overdo it ;).

IOW, the idea is not to introduce other scales (or modes or whatever), but to add a little spicy chromaticism to the scale you've already got (the one the chords are giving you).

There are certain jazz sequences where a different mode IS required for every chord. It's called "modal jazz". You rarely get anything like that in rock music (I know a Joe Satriani track where he does that).

Otherwise, most chord sequences benefit from the same strategy: use the chord tones (and whatever scale that implies overall) and if that's too dull, add some chromatics. No need for any fancier thinking.

• Members

Thanks, JonR. That makes sense. Such a simple solution, that's what I like. But yeah, I often see accidentals when looking at melody lines of pop songs... Those often tend to be what makes the line interesting sounding.. think beatles.

That's another thing I've decided to do: lay down chords of pop songs, good ones, and then play the melody note for note over top. What better way could there be to become a melodic guitar player? I have a feeling that's what Clapton and Gilmour did on occasion, judging by their playing

• Members

Have a listen to what Jimi does in "All Along The Watchtower". It's not the same key but the same chord progression in Cm instead of Am.

If you have software that will let you slow down or transpose a track try that.

As for your simple chord progression: Am / G / F / G ...

Do you know where all of the notes are on your guitar? If so, try using all the natural notes (no sharps or flats) in an effort to create some melodies to fit over the chords. It's like playing only the white keys on a piano

Don't be so concerned about calculating what notes to play over each chord but when you find a sound you like (B over the Am for example) then make a mental note of it and what it sounds like. Eventually you will develop a vocabulary of ideas that you can draw from.

• Members

I hear it in G.

F Major is not in key of G.

Am is the easiest route.

Key of C:

C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim

Key of G:

G-Am-Bm-C-D-Em-F#dim

Or you could one of those folks who plays a different scale/arpeggio over each chord. It's all good.

• Members

F Major is not in key of G.

Am is the easiest route.

Key of C:

C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim

Key of G:

G-Am-Bm-C-D-Em-F#dim

Or you could one of those folks who plays a different scale/arpeggio over each chord. It's all good.

Virgil, Virgil. Surprised you missed my reference.

Archived