Some tips/hints on learning how to play the guitar

Skydome

• Members

Good afternoon everyone.

First of all, I did some searching on google and this forum seemed to be the best one that came up, good layout and seems to cover a lot of areas, anyway, I'll cut right down to the chase.

A few years ago, I bought a basic beginner guitar from I think the company name is sx, forget the guitar model name lol which came with amp and tuner and picks which I have laying around the house somewhere, god knows where, anyway, I played it a bit but shortly after picking up it up, got bored and stopped playing (Probably because I had no real direction) and am just now re-picking it up again and am going to try harder this time, because I have found a specific direction that I want to go in which I won't bore you with the details.

At the moment, I am mainly struggling with navigating the frets (SP?) on the guitar and am finding it to be bothersome, the main issue is probably because I am not using picks lol but I would rather learn straight without using picks to figure out a technique right from the get go without using picks, yes I am aware using picks would most likely make life easier for me learning and if it will help that much I guess I could try finding the picks that came with the guitar or buy some more, but the point I wanted to learn from the get go without picks is so I can play without picks.

Anyway, the problem I am having with navigating the frets on the guitar is I constantly bump strings I don't want to touch and it effects the playing, so first up, I need to figure out some sort of technique to make navigating the frets easier and less burdensome, which seems to be the main thing that's slowing me down at the moment.

After learning that, I would need to figure out how to hold notes for longer ie 4-5 seconds or more, but the I think the thing I need to figure out now is navigating the frets easily and effortlessly.

Any videos or pictorials out there on the internet for this I'd love to know about :)

I assume this is the right section though, if not feel free to move :)

Thanks.

• Members

Honestly it sounds to me like you are simply new to the instrument. It is not easy in the early stages and most of the things that now seem huge to you will one day be a distant memory. You simply need to put in more hours. There are tons of beginners resources and videos online so check them all out (justinguitar is a good one).. but honestly you simply need to play more. This will not come quickly and that is the exact reason why most people can't play an instrument - because they find it hard and give up. Keep working at it a little every day and it will get easier.

• Members
Honestly it sounds to me like you are simply new to the instrument. It is not easy in the early stages and most of the things that now seem huge to you will one day be a distant memory. You simply need to put in more hours. There are tons of beginners resources and videos online so check them all out (justinguitar is a good one).. but honestly you simply need to play more. This will not come quickly and that is the exact reason why most people can't play an instrument - because they find it hard and give up. Keep working at it a little every day and it will get easier.

Yes, I guess you are right, just need to practice more, I have been doing a good 15-20 minutes every 3-4 days but have taken a bit of break as It felt like I was burning myself out a bit as I wasn't too sure how to practice effectively using the fret board and positioning etc.

Thank you for mentioning that website, I watched most of the beginner video lessons and he explained things very well. I'll work on those beginner videos on that website and just keep going at it, I also noticed it had a forum, so I'll most likely also set up an account there while also lurking around here.

Thanks.

• Members

Just keep doing it, don't stop. You will get past a lot of this stuff if you simply persist. You would be better served to play shorter - but every day. Do like 10 minutes a day. As soon as it is not fun any more put it down. Watch vids and learn when you are not playing. Just bit by bit. You can do this.

• Members
Just keep doing it' date=' don't stop. You will get past a lot of this stuff if you simply persist. You would be better served to play shorter - but every day. Do like 10 minutes a day. As soon as it is not fun any more put it down. Watch vids and learn when you are not playing. Just bit by bit. You can do this.[/quote']

Excellent advice.

Even better, play twice a day. Carve out 10 minutes early, 10+? later in the day. Your improve will rapidly progress.

Also, I find (maybe not that helpful to you now) improvising to backing tracks to be huge in getting chops up quickly. It also has the advantage of thinking musically....while you are practicing.

• Members
Also' date=' I find (maybe not that helpful to you now) improvising to backing tracks to be huge in getting chops up quickly. It also has the advantage of thinking musically....while you are practicing.[/quote']

I very much agree... but this poster doesn't sound anywhere near ready for this advice. Just wanted to make that clear for him/her

• Members

That's why I said "...maybe not that helpful to you now"

On second thought, it could be helpful to the OP now. I say don't wait to branch out...it may be the thing that really inspires one to play. Who knows.

Mostly, don't "wait until you are good enough". Dive in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry it has been a while since I last posted, been a bit busy.

Anyway, figured I would give a bit of an update since you last heard from me.

I putted along with a particular picking Technic, best way to describe it, kinda swoop down on the string and pick it, worked alright but found I was consistently bumping strings I didn't want to bump, anyway, just yesterday I had a bit of a talk with a musician about his picking Technic he uses and he said to rest my little finger to keep my hand in a comfortable position, so I took that advice on board and just rested my little finger on the guitar as well as one/two others, and found it to be more comfortable to use just my thumb for picking using this technique and found it was easier to hit the strings and was finding I was getting to a point where I was picking pretty fast (Of course I was making mistakes with pushing the speed, but wanted to see what I could do) and also found that I had a few times where I would look at one string and would automatically pick that string, I still have issues with bumping the wrong string/s but getting there slowly with this technique.

I think a good plan of attack would be to set aside 5/10 minute session just for picking practice, than have a bit of a break, than combine picking with doing some simple navigating of the fret board while joining up a pick of that particular string and than move on to another string and repeat the process.

I don't know if this would help me, but I was browsing amazon a bit and saw you can get sticker frets for violins and was wondering if you could get a similar thing for guitars? I know they have fret dots on them, but I think I was more after the note letter?

I'm thinking it would only come in handy if you're writing music or something or to teach you the fret letters? I also learn better in a more visual way, so that's another reason why I was thinking about it.

May or may not help, but thought it was worth putting out there to see what the rest of you think and to also ask if they actually existed lol.

Thanks.

• Members

Actually, if you have the drive, your musical talent will show fairly soon after picking up the guitar. You really might try a local guitar teacher in your area and simply ask him what is best for you to move forward and give it a try for 4 weeks. A good foundation at the start doesn't take years or months, just a good coaching from the start.

• Members

@ 100

[video=youtube;ACH5Z_YPmVg]

I use this bounce picking method. I can go about a third as quickly and frankly other speed picking methods are much easier. Fortunately that's pretty much irrelevant. Picking away from the strings as demonstrated is a very musical gesture and can help your timing and expression with any melodic playing that may come up.

• Members

The first thing you should learn before putting your hand on the instrument is ....PATIENTS !!!!

When you decide to use a pick, try strumming chords, with out wasting motion ( try staying close to the strings), up, down, up, down,up ...ect ....Get into muting string to get feel of the string with out deadening the note. Learn to deaden strings you are not using

Then trying to get more rhythmic, start thinking like a drummer.

• Members

Alright, well I am slowly getting comfortable navigating the first 3 strings on the guitar, I managed to start from the top and work my way down, still make some mistakes with finger placement but I am ever slowly getting there, making improvements most days, now I can get a real basic sound going.

Slowly getting there, still got a lot of improving to do but I'm definitely a lot better now than even a few days ago.

I reckon give myself another year like this and I should be nearly competent at navigating the fret board.

• Members

Well, I'm making slight improvements each day. Now, I am finding it mostly comfortable to navigate the first 3 strings, only point in time it gets kind of tricky is up further on the fret board closer to the neck, but from the middle on wards closer to the pick ups, I'm finding it to be reasonably comfortable, I'm still making small mistakes here and there with finger placement but it is slowly becoming less and less, now, I am trying to move on to the last 3 strings but I am finding to be really awkward.

• Members

Yes, I guess you are right, just need to practice more, I have been doing a good 15-20 minutes every 3-4 days but have taken a bit of break as It felt like I was burning myself out a bit as I wasn't too sure how to practice effectively using the fret board and positioning etc.

Thank you for mentioning that website, I watched most of the beginner video lessons and he explained things very well. I'll work on those beginner videos on that website and just keep going at it, I also noticed it had a forum, so I'll most likely also set up an account there while also lurking around here.

Thanks.

15-20 minutes every 3-4 days and you are getting burned out?

Are you kidding me? Start practicing a couple hours a day.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I think, for beginning guitarists, you need lessons from a private instructor. There is just no substitute for learning the basics properly and thoroughly. I do not see how it is really possible to properly learn the guitar (at least in the first year or two) without consistent lessons and at least 45 minutes of practice 5 days a week. Trying to learn it yourself will result in making many unneeded mistakes that will result in months, possibly years of bad habits that will have to be corrected. I have been playing and studying guitar for 35 years and I still take lessons from time to time and yes, I also learn things from You Tube. You get much more from books and videos when you are an intermediate to advanced player and the basics are well ingrained and you have some chops.

• Members

I just posted something on "Buying Your Giutar", and this stuff comes from it:

Realities of Ownership

* The new baby is home! It's time for post-purchase depression to kick in. No matter how nice your instrument is, it doesn't play itself; hard work begins now. You have to rearrange your schedule and develop new practice habits, deal with painful fingers and frustration, struggle with understanding a theory of music (and there are many), and confront your own inadequacies. And it's sooo easy to blame it on the guitar...

* "There is no road but the practice road..." Amen! You can practice at the laundromat. You can practice while watching TV (hey! baseball was made for this). You can practice while reading. Practice on the treadmill, or while you drink your morning coffee. But practice you must.

* Remember - your eyes won't help you play the guitar. Put your mind into your fingers. Let your feet tap all they want. Your ears will tell you how things go, and whenever you do something wrong.

* Be persistent about learning. Watch guitarists. Ask people to demonstrate things you like. Make new guitar-playing friends. Play along with recorded music. Add one new thing every time you practice.

* Finally, growth will be uneven. Sometimes you rip along learning new stuff and getting noticeably better, then you stall for weeks or months. When that happens, try changing your direction. If you've concentrated on your left-hand fingerings, now work on learning new strums. Listen to new types of music. Play for your friends. Study harmony. Just continue to press onwards.

And a shout-out to jeremy_green for his comment earlier today!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived