Practicing with a sequencer

GTM

• Members

I'm probably wasting my time typing this, but in the spirit of sharing and that it might spark an interest I'll continue.

A few years ago I committed to shred. I've always been a blues/rock, classic rock sort of player. Yngwie Malmsteen changed all that. For what ever reason, I have developed a proven method to improve technique, speed, articulation, ear & mind training. I use a sequencer.

First, I create 95% of my own exercises. Be it sweep picking, vertical or horizontal scales, major, minor, melodic minor, arpeggios or what ever. I think them up and write them out using free tab/notation software available at Power Tabs. Then I record them to my sequencer using a sythn keyboard and save them to disk.

The advantages to this are many.

1. It forces me to be creative.

2. Makes me write out and catalog my studies. I remember things much better this way.

3. Discipline!!!!! All this so far is an exercise in discipline. We could all us some more discipline in our playing.

The advantages of playing along with a sequencer;

1. You can vary the speed without changing pitch. I found that when working out with a metronome or drum machine, when I got up to really fast tempos, I couldn't really hear if I was precisely on the beat. When playing with a sequencer, if you

• Members

actually, i too find playing along with exercises done up in Powertab helpful. metronomes are great, and ill never be without mine, but if you start playing complex stuff, its hard to keep everything together with the click sometimes. easy solution, put it in powertab and it will always be in time, and if you are off you hear it, like you said.

• Members

Seems good to me :cool:. What works for you may not work for everyone, but we're all different. I personally never really got into purely mechanical excercises, always had to have some musical purpose for me to get into doing it regularly. Raising The Barre is good in that respect. What you're doing would seem better than what I was up to in the 80's (when malmsteen scared me into getting a teacher), which was just listening to whatever it was I was learning til I could visualise it, then trying to play it,or develop the technique to do so. Good luck. Peace :D:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by bobthemerciful

I personally never really got into purely mechanical excercises, always had to have some musical purpose for me to get into doing it regularly.

It's hard but not impossible to be inspired everyday. I prefer to practice several hours a day, everyday. I can't afford to wait for inspiration to get me off the couch every night. This is where I have found the mechanical exercises have their benefits. With this technique, at least I know my fingers, muscles and muscle memory aren't losing any ground. And 9 out of 10 times after a good workout inspiration kicks in and I can sit back and let it flow.

I look at it this way, you can't build a house unless you have the tools. Sticking to this regime has provided me with proven success. I get neurotic about not playing everyday, losing ground, etc. So again, if I

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Sequencers are bad because Terje said so. Drum machines are almost as bad, but metronomes are ok, IF and ONLY IF they are set to click on beats 2 and 4.

This presents an interesting dilemma for those playing in, say, 3/4 time, but if Terje says it, it must be true.

:p

LOL :rolleyes:

I use to get pissed off at his (Terje) posts. Now I usually just skip over them. I'm sure he'd be a blast to have a few beers with, but some of his statments on music & practice are so off the wall.;)

I've seen so many posts here where people are asking how to hold a pick, do you float or anchor your hand, etc. I have found through repetition and concentration, your hands, pick, etc, in conjunction with you ear will naturally align for the most efficient technique.

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Sequencers are bad because Terje said so.

I've tried it myself too and I've foud that the risk of starting to play things very mechanically is very great, at least for me. I have also played with drummers who have used drum machines a lot and no, they don't sound very good. Not for the type of music I want to play.

If this doesn't happen when you use it, or if it doesn't bother you then I suppose it's OK. I still say that for a jazz or blues musician sequencers and drum machines are evil. Does that mean I never, ever use them? No, I use them too, and have fun with it to a certain extent.

But I think playing along with records or even better, with real people, is gonna help you much, much more, no matter what style of music you're into.

• Members

Originally posted by GTM

I'm sure he'd be a blast to have a few beers with...

Not really since I don't drink alcohol at all.

Look, I have a dramatic way of exrpessing myself when it comes to music. Don't take it so seriously and maybe there

ll be something in it for you too. Or maybe not, it's just an internet forum anyway. Why get pissed off if someone presents an idea or a thoguht?

• Members

Sequencers rule for practice tracks. They're especially helpful for practicing exotic scales and music you can't find in the average store-bought backing track. Then you need to research what chords go with it, record them, etc. Gets you to figure out what rhythms work with that weird scale.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

I've tried it myself too and I've foud that the risk of starting to play things very mechanically is very great, at least for me.'s OK.

I still say that for a jazz or blues musician sequencers and drum machines are evil.

It is important to acknowledge that certain mechanics are necessary to play. There is mechanical effort required to hold a pick and strike the string. If you want to use speed as a form of expression then the efficiently of your playing (mechanics) needs to be refined. This can only be done through repetition.

Technique = Mechanics

If you decide to play slow for what ever reason, it's not as critical. It's really a simple concept.

Technique = mechanics = practice = discipline = results :D

And yes, I am taking into consideration emotion. Of course we all need to play with emotion.:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

Not really since I don't drink alcohol at all.

Look, I have a dramatic way of exrpessing myself when it comes to music. Don't take it so seriously and maybe there

ll be something in it for you too. Or maybe not, it's just an internet forum anyway. Why get pissed off if someone presents an idea or a thoguht?

Ummmm, Terje dude, I WAS joking. :rolleyes:

• Members

Try this link to Mike's Power Tabs. Look in the download section. There you can download free tab/notation software that will allow you to write your own tabs or notation and it also it a simple sequencer that will play what ever your write. You can use this software to write out exercises like the ones I mentioned. Then play along and increase the speed of the sequencer or transpose (although I prefer to play in different positions and hear the harmony).

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/

Archived