Place to look for sheet music/solos?

JollyRoger

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=851955

Learn a chord melody solo from one of the books mentioned in that thread. Also, work up your reading skills (nothing advanced; just be able to read a simple melody), and work on being able to play the chords from a lead sheet. Being able to improvise over a jazz tune will earn you a lot of points.

Yes. You'll have to get one sooner or later if you're going to study jazz. Try to get the old Real Book or the new Real Book that's published by Hal Leonard music. The old one isn't 'legal,' so it's sort of an under the counter deal to purchase, but the new one that HL has put out is very faithful to the original, which is the one everyone uses just about everywhere.

The sight reading that you'd probably do for a jazz audition would be reading the melody off of a lead sheet from the Real Book or something like it. Usually they'll have you read a very simple jazz tune, like Satin Doll or Autumn Leaves or Blue Bossa, play the melody, improvise over the changes, and comp some chords. It's different from school to school what they have you do to audition, but if you can do that, you're probably set for most entrace auditions.

• Members

Originally posted by Poparad

Yes. You'll have to get one sooner or later if you're going to study jazz. Try to get the old Real Book or the new Real Book that's published by Hal Leonard music. The old one isn't 'legal,' so it's sort of an under the counter deal to purchase, but the new one that HL has put out is very faithful to the original, which is the one everyone uses just about everywhere.

The sight reading that you'd probably do for a jazz audition would be reading the melody off of a lead sheet from the Real Book or something like it. Usually they'll have you read a very simple jazz tune, like Satin Doll or Autumn Leaves or Blue Bossa, play the melody, improvise over the changes, and comp some chords. It's different from school to school what they have you do to audition, but if you can do that, you're probably set for most entrace auditions.

Thats the book I have actually. I usually just use the blues scale to improvise, that probably isn't enough is it? I'm just worried about finding a peice to play that would be difficult enough.

thanks again

Originally posted by JollyRoger

Thats the book I have actually. I usually just use the blues scale to improvise, that probably isn't enough is it? I'm just worried about finding a peice to play that would be difficult enough.

thanks again

Yeah, the blues scale is ok for the blues some of the time, but in jazz it's more about about 7 note scales. Don't worry about picking something that's too easy; if it's in the book, then it's an acceptable piece. You'll just have to worry about picking something that's not too hard.

• Members

Yeah, the blues scale is ok for the blues some of the time, but in jazz it's more about about 7 note scales. Don't worry about picking something that's too easy; if it's in the book, then it's an acceptable piece. You'll just have to worry about picking something that's not too hard.

What scales would you recomend for soloing in jazz?

What scales would you recomend for soloing in jazz?

That's quite a huge topic to just be covered in a message board reply. Try checking out a book on beginning jazz guitar. Jody Fisher has a series out that I've heard is really good, with a beginner and intermediate book, and i think maybe an advanced one too. That should cover everything you need to know about scale choices.

• Members

You really think a pretty easy song will be ok? Some of my friends have auditioned at certian places and they always picked a pretty hard peice, but they were saxes, so I guess its pretty different huh?

You really think a pretty easy song will be ok? Some of my friends have auditioned at certian places and they always picked a pretty hard peice, but they were saxes, so I guess its pretty different huh?

There aren't any tunes in the Real Book that would be unacceptable for an auditions. The only ones that might be bad choices are too hard to play anyway, so don't sweat it.

It's better to play an easy tune well than a hard tune poorly.

• Members

There aren't any tunes in the Real Book that would be unacceptable for an auditions. The only ones that might be bad choices are too hard to play anyway, so don't sweat it.

It's better to play an easy tune well than a hard tune poorly.

Yeah I agree with you there

Archived