Speed building Exercise

• Members

Hey guys,

I just made a quick practice video.

It goes over a favorite exercise of mine. All you need is a metronome, a guitar and few minutes a day.

a free metronome can be found here:

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Basically you start a slow metronome speed and you play, one note per click, then two notes per click.

Then three, four, six and finally eight notes per click.

You start off slow, make sure all your fingers are close to the fretboard and there's no unwanted movement.

Then slowly build up the tempo, once you have reached you peak, start at the beginning again and try to improve past your peak.

If you can't improve cleanly, try tomorrow or the day after or the next week.

Make a goal and mark down your improvements!

Anyone can play cleaning and with speed, it just takes time!

Any feedback would be brilliant :thu:

[YOUTUBE]oHp4i-sKKOU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

thanks alot guys,

i used to post here very regularly i'll try and hunt down some threads a had a few years ago about a custom guitar,

everyone was so helpful and knowledge it really enlightened my final decisions,

the dvd's were honestly just for fun, i thought a video of just me talking for five minutes might be a tad dull,

if it's an australian custom i haven't heard of it yet haha

i'm very lucky to have more time on my hands at the moment, so you'll definitely be hearing more from me,

thank you for you helpful insight virg,

pat

• Members

Hey,

Nice job thanks for posting and good to see you here. Make a habit of it!

To critique your video - which you kind of asked for - i will say firstly I liked YOU. You have a good on camera thing going and you speak very well. I also liked the typesetting. It looks very clean and professional. I enjoyed your little DVD thing ... although it did seem a bit out of place.

The bad stuff - your timing is off. You aren't landing cleanly on the ones.. quite often actually. Your timing is kind of all over the map. I think you need to speed up the metronome a hair and get in the zone. If you aren't nailing it it doesn't present the way it is supposed to sound, undermines you and the lesson presented - which is a shame. Secondly your "threes" arent triplets. Typically subdivisions are treated as equal ones. The pattern you are playing is 16th,16th,8th 16th,16th,8th 16th,16th,8th (as opposed to One-and-ah, Two-and-ah, Three-and-ah etc). You also skipped 5's & 7's (which are tough granted). Just being a wanker here, but if I were presenting anything on sequencing I would include those.

So some good some not so good. Not meaning to come off as a goof or anything just trying to help you.

Cheers!!

• Members

hey mr green,

all opinions are welcome buddy that's definitely what i asked for,

there's always room for improvement so i thankyou for your honest opinions and i will improve on your points :thu:

i actually tried not to mention the word triplet or play triplets in this exercise on purpose. There are triplets the varitions of this excerise that i play.

But i just wanted to keep it as simple as i could. It's so easy to see progress with only doing this exercise a few minutes a day, i just wanted to keep the timing as simple as possible. 1, 1 2, 1 2 3, 1 2 3 4. And so on

But i thankyou for your kind words and helpful suggestions i'll definitely be taking your opinions onboard for my next video,

thankyou,

Pat

• Members

I like that you played the lick THEN explained it. Seems like a lot of online tutes make the mistake of spending 5 minutes going finger by finger THEN they play the actual lick. Half the time you have to scroll to the end of the lesson first to hear why you might want to listen to an explanation of a 6 note lick for 5 minutes.

That alone gets you bonus points :)

Good job!

• Members

Disclaimer : I have not watched the video yet - YouToob is blocked at work per coporate policy :mad:... I'll definitely check it out later tonight from home though.

So I am going right now based on what's in the posts here...

Very correct idea about speeding up SLOWLY - it's one of the cornerstone concepts of the Practice method that I'm following - check http://www.guitarprinciples.com for more in-depth info and a lot of free excellent articles too, if you do not feel like spending any money. (If you do feel like spending $30 to improve your guitar playing - buy the "Principles of correct practice for guitar" book from the the site - I HIGHLY recommend it :thu::thu::thu:).

One thing that's part of the Basic Practice Approach outlined in the book that I did not see mentioned above is the NO TEMPO PRACTICE. The idea here is to practice a scale - or a musical passage - with absolutely no tempo at all before you even start with the slowest of metronome settings. The reason for it is to try and get all parts of your body to relax, and try and play all the notes as perfect as possible, which is the necessary part of developing the right muscle memory and continually improving your play. And the next day try to get a little more perfect than yesterday...

This approach has helped me tremenduously, and it's just one of the ideas from the book I mentioned above.

Cheers!

• Members

Hey,

Nice job thanks for posting and good to see you here. Make a habit of it!

To critique your video - which you kind of asked for - i will say firstly I liked YOU. You have a good on camera thing going and you speak very well. I also liked the typesetting. It looks very clean and professional. I enjoyed your little DVD thing ... although it did seem a bit out of place.

The bad stuff - your timing is off. You aren't landing cleanly on the ones.. quite often actually. Your timing is kind of all over the map. I think you need to speed up the metronome a hair and get in the zone. If you aren't nailing it it doesn't present the way it is supposed to sound, undermines you and the lesson presented - which is a shame. Secondly your "threes" arent triplets. Typically subdivisions are treated as equal ones. The pattern you are playing is 16th,16th,8th 16th,16th,8th 16th,16th,8th (as opposed to One-and-ah, Two-and-ah, Three-and-ah etc). You also skipped 5's & 7's (which are tough granted). Just being a wanker here, but if I were presenting anything on sequencing I would include those.

So some good some not so good. Not meaning to come off as a goof or anything just trying to help you.

Cheers!!

I agree with Mr. Green here.

When dealing with my students I tend to like to be inclusive, but not overly confusing with the information. But I will always supply the sheet, the tab, the particular divisions of the beat, the key, and often a quick lesson on what I might use a lick or exercise for when I do picking exercises with them. It is very necessary to know if it is an 8th note, 16th note, 16th note triplet, or 16th note sextuplet grouping that a lesson is attempting to convey--this is basic to understanding timing. That wasn't always clear in the video.

Also, it is equally important to focus upon your phrasing and where your emphasis is being placed when doing exercises. I often take a simple diatonic or chromatic exercise and rework it to stress notes outside of the beat (such as emphasizing the 2nd, 3rd or 4th note of a 16th note quad pattern). But at first make sure that your picking is clearly indicating the metronome or drum machine click.

I did like your presentation though--you have a very good camera presence.

Sorry for sounding preaching, but timing is vital to good music...

Regards.

• Members

I'll give you some criticism from the noob point of view...I can't tell what you are playing or doing...:confused:

I agree with the idea to show it up front to build interest but then there is not enough explanation to carry out the exercise. Maybe that means I haven't learned enough to attempt it but...anyway...it looked like fun.

Archived