Kirk Hammett Hate

• Members

I don't get all the Hate for Kirk, He was my first guitar influence when i was a kid and got me into wanting to become a good guitar player. He also lead to me discover the next level of guitar players that are a step above. He also wrote solo's that while aren't the most complicated solo's were perfect for Metallica. On top of that he's a cool guy with little ego for a huge star. every time i see a guitar player dissucssion it's hammet is the worst ect. I don't get it.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't get all the Hate for Kirk, He was my first guitar influence when i was a kid and got me into wanting to become a good guitar player. He also lead to me discover the next level of guitar players that are a step above. He also wrote solo's that while aren't the most complicated solo's were perfect for Metallica. On top of that he's a cool guy with little ego for a huge star. every time i see a guitar player dissucssion it's hammet is the worst ect. I don't get it.

:idk:

Dunlop-KH95-Crybaby-Kirk-Hammett-Signatu

• Members

I dont get it either bro. Kirk is pretty damned great.

I'd love to hear all these forum experts write riffs like he does and nail a fast solo like that in an expensive studio with the red light on. Nailing stuff under pressure is the sign of a pretty damned good player.

Someone doesnt like his style? I get that. But to say he is {censored} is plain ignorance and immaturity.

• Members

It's odd to think of a guy who was there from the first album as a replacement... I always think of Mustaine as more of a "he was in the band too isnt that neat" kind of way. Everything meaningful for Metallica happened long after his departure. As cool as Kill Em All was to me Metallica as we know them today IMO was really born on Ride the Lightning. It had a much more refined kind of style... I still prefer Kill Em ... but likely more of a nostalgia thing.

• Members

I don't hate him at all :idk:...some of his bends/vibrato on live recordings are really out..but he's playing with adrenaline in front of a 100,000 people!..I wish I could.

I really like a bunch of his recorded solo's..."One" and "Enter Sandman" come to mind..they both fit perfectly and are singable..which is always a good thing. I don't care much for any of Metallica's output after the "Black" album..but their earlier stuff is killer. The first song of theirs I heard was "Hit the lights" and it sounded like a sped up Motorhead with better chops. I loved it!.

• Members

It's odd to think of a guy who was there from the first album as a replacement... I always think of Mustaine as more of a "he was in the band too isnt that neat" kind of way. Everything meaningful for Metallica happened long after his departure. As cool as Kill Em All was to me Metallica as we know them today IMO was really born on Ride the Lightning. It had a much more refined kind of style... I still prefer Kill Em ... but likely more of a nostalgia thing.

All opinions aside J,

Key word, "was". If you were listening to Kill em All, Kirk "was" a replacement. Same as Peart "was" a replacement in Rush.

At this point they have their tenure under their belts, but when the second albums came out they 'were' the replacements. And they were both hella great replacements.

• Members

ok... I am the guy who is going to go there...

I hate Kirk Hammett. I think his playing is awful. When I wasa kid, did I listen to Metallica? Yes. Did I learn his solos?? yes... Can I still play "Fade to Black" or "Sanitarium"?? Yes.... Do I ever play his fast solos anymore??? No.

I, like many others, including the originator of this post, will agree that by passing through Metallica I was exposed to other cool bands and guitarists.

Tastes change. When I was 14 and just starting out, anything that was fast was like "woah".... But once you can do it AND you can bend well and have good vibrato, tone and have a decent ear, you may think that Kirk Hammett's stuff is juvenile, cliche, annoying and just plain not good.

He is the master of playing scale sequences that sounds wrong, landing on the wrongest note possible within a scale, doing those annoying unison bends ALL THE TIME and that nonsensical speed lick he does in pretty much EVERY fast solo.... Personally, after listening to guys like Marty Friedman, Dimebag Darrell, Zakk Wylde, Yngwie, Nuno, Jason Becker and countless others, you realize that Kirk is the one guy who never got his vibrato together... or his tone... or his bending... or much else... When you see live MEtallica shows, he always plays some awful stuff, YES, WITH A WAH PEDAL ON MOST OF THE TIME....

I am not afraid to admit I dislike his style of playing. I much prefer Hetfiled's soloing to Kirks'.... The first solo on Orion, Nothing Else Matters, etc. Hetfield may not be as technically savvy, but he has a nice tone and decent vibrato and phrasing....

I don't ever mind technique, unless it's just plain WANKERY for no apparent reason. Kirk, to me, displays such "Wankeristic Tendencies".

• Members

ok... I am the guy who is going to go there...

I hate Kirk Hammett. I think his playing is awful. When I wasa kid, did I listen to Metallica? Yes. Did I learn his solos?? yes... Can I still play "Fade to Black" or "Sanitarium"?? Yes.... Do I ever play his fast solos anymore??? No.

I, like many others, including the originator of this post, will agree that by passing through Metallica I was exposed to other cool bands and guitarists.

Tastes change. When I was 14 and just starting out, anything that was fast was like "woah".... But once you can do it AND you can bend well and have good vibrato, tone and have a decent ear, you may think that Kirk Hammett's stuff is juvenile, cliche, annoying and just plain not good.

He is the master of playing scale sequences that sounds wrong, landing on the wrongest note possible within a scale, doing those annoying unison bends ALL THE TIME and that nonsensical speed lick he does in pretty much EVERY fast solo.... Personally, after listening to guys like Marty Friedman, Dimebag Darrell, Zakk Wylde, Yngwie, Nuno, Jason Becker and countless others, you realize that Kirk is the one guy who never got his vibrato together... or his tone... or his bending... or much else... When you see live MEtallica shows, he always plays some awful stuff, YES, WITH A WAH PEDAL ON MOST OF THE TIME....

I am not afraid to admit I dislike his style of playing. I much prefer Hetfiled's soloing to Kirks'.... The first solo on Orion, Nothing Else Matters, etc. Hetfield may not be as technically savvy, but he has a nice tone and decent vibrato and phrasing....

I don't ever mind technique, unless it's just plain WANKERY for no apparent reason. Kirk, to me, displays such "Wankeristic Tendencies".

ROFLMAO!

That is one funny ass post man. Tell us how you really feel man!

Sure there are a lot of guys who can do it better 100% agreed. But to say he is {censored} is kind of disrespecting true {censored}ness. I have heard a TON of far worse players than him man. I'll say this too - I dont (like you) know how many of those riffs he wrote but to me creativity weighs a TON higher than improvisational stuff.

Bottom line - Metallica kills (not a fan of anything past "and justice...") but they still are tight as hell. Like the Beatles of thrash. He is a large part of that overall sound so by proximity to the largeness of their works I cant say he sucks. I can comfortably say he is FAR from my favourite.

• Members

ROFLMAO!

That is one funny ass post man. Tell us how you really feel man!

Sure there are a lot of guys who can do it better 100% agreed. But to say he is shit is kind of disrespecting true shitness. I have heard a TON of far worse players than him man. I'll say this too - I dont (like you) know how many of those riffs he wrote but to me creativity weighs a TON higher than improvisational stuff.

Bottom line - Metallica kills (not a fan of anything past "and justice...") but they still are tight as hell. Like the Beatles of thrash. He is a large part of that overall sound so by proximity to the largeness of their works I cant say he sucks. I can comfortably say he is FAR from my favourite.

Fair enough. It's not that he SUCKS.. it's not like he's a drunk hobo at an open mic night.... But he is NOT a guitarist to be worshipped... it's like the whole "Clapton is God" thing... Only at least Clapton had nice tone, good phrasing, tasty vibrato, etc.

;)

Archived