why is anchoring considerd a bad habit?

• Members

I tend to anchor when I use tremolo techniques, I've been able to conquer past bad habits so I don't think getting used not anchoring would be a problem for me. The reason though I am asking is that I noticed Paul Gilbert anchors and has actually suggested doing so In some lesson videos. This has me confused since I have read on many a guitar forum that anchoring is a "bad habit", if this is true then could someone inform me as to how it is more a negative than positive habit. thanks

• Members

I slaved over this question when I first started teaching. Most of my students that had any jazz training what-so-ever would tell me their teachers didn't agree with anchoring. Since I was a hard rock and metal teacher I could have just chalked it up to stylistic difference and move on, but found I didn't have to.

Anchoring keeps your hand braced when faster alternate sections are attempted, and is very useful for most players. I found that even floating players like DiMeola and Gilbert almost always will anchor when they play quick material.

I know I can play without anchoring for about 90% of my material, but would rather not try floating when I play faster picked material. I used to free float on acoustic (steel and classical--though classical fingerstyle is obviously another issue), but found it to be unnecessarily problematic when I played faster sections so I stopped.

I agree with the second poster, if you can anchor without your picking stroke becoming rigid or hindered--do it. I just make sure that I keep the pick even and can maintain good wrist movement. There are some people who anchor their pick with a very stiff hand, locking the hand and limiting the standard pick swivel; in that case I would tell the person to free float or develop a more loose adaptation of their anchor.

• Members

I slaved over this question when I first started teaching. Most of my students that had any jazz training what-so-ever would tell me their teachers didn't agree with anchoring. Since I was a hard rock and metal teacher I could have just chalked it up to stylistic difference and move on, but found I didn't have to.

Anchoring keeps your hand braced when faster alternate sections are attempted, and is very useful for most players. I found that even floating players like DiMeola and Gilbert almost always will anchor when they play quick material.

I know I can play without anchoring for about 90% of my material, but would rather not try floating when I play faster picked material. I used to free float on acoustic (steel and classical--though classical fingerstyle is obviously another issue), but found it to be unnecessarily problematic when I played faster sections so I stopped.

I agree with the second poster, if you can anchor without your picking stroke becoming rigid or hindered--do it. I just make sure that I keep the pick even and can maintain good wrist movement. There are some people who anchor their pick with a very stiff hand, locking the hand and limiting the standard pick swivel; in that case I would tell the person to free float or develop a more loose adaptation of their anchor.

Thanks dude!

• Members

heheheh- I remember wearing out the tailpiece chrome on my first LP! I totally had bad technique with anchoring. As I progressed to louder amps I realized I needed that palm for muting and evolved to a Pinky on the edge of the bridge humbucker ring and have worn grooves in guitars there. But that evolved also into shifting movement to get different pinch harmonics etc. I dont pick much leads with my wrist and instead use a rolling motion with my thumb and forefinger. For rhythm I do use my wrist to get those chunky downstrokes tho. Whatever works for you

• Members

I think anchoring is a matter of taste/personal technique/comfort... There are varying schools on the topic... I almost always anchor, except when I hybrid pick or fingerpick.... It gives you a good barometer as to string distances, etc. BUT, by the same token, if I practice NOT anchoring for a few months, I am sure it would feel equally as natural...

As long as you can accomplish what you ehar in your head, what is the point obssessing over a specific technical ideal?!?

• Members
I think anchoring is a matter of taste/personal technique/comfort... There are varying schools on the topic... I almost always anchor, except when I hybrid pick or fingerpick.... It gives you a good barometer as to string distances, etc. BUT, by the same token, if I practice NOT anchoring for a few months, I am sure it would feel equally as natural...

As long as you can accomplish what you ehar in your head, what is the point obssessing over a specific technical ideal?!?[/QUOTE]

Because it may limit you?

I see it works for many great players. But it doesn't work as well for specific styles where it would be cumbersome at best. Ya, you could switch and unanchor, but why not just keep it that way and develop that tech.?

I would never suggest a student anchor. But over the years of teaching, if it works for them(whatever the technique), and I don't see it as a dead end, I try to accept.

Self-taught, it just seemed to me that:

(some songs would require)..anchor-pick-pick-release-strum-strum-anchor-pick-release-str...etc was silly. Just learn to pick unanchored( I told myself, not ya'all)

IMO

:)

• Members

Because it may limit you?

I see it works for many great players. But it doesn't work as well for specific styles where it would be cumbersome at best. Ya, you could switch and unanchor, but why not just keep it that way and develop that tech.?

I would never suggest a student anchor. But over the years of teaching, if it works for them(whatever the technique), and I don't see it as a dead end, I try to accept.

Self-taught, it just seemed to me that:

(some songs would require)..anchor-pick-pick-release-strum-strum-anchor-pick-release-str...etc was silly. Just learn to pick unanchored( I told myself, not ya'all)

IMO

:)

The only thing that limits you is lack of flexibility... I think that if you try a technique and it feels cumbersome or stiffling, you should explore alternative techniques to that one.

As far as plectrum style guitar playing, I have yet to see a person that plays unanchored able to do things a person who is equally skilled can't do while in an anchored position.

What exactly do you think that unanchored positioning helps you with?? String skipping?? You can use hybrid picking to bridge the gap between strings for the first note on the new string... Sweep picking??? I actually like anchoring better here, as it gives me (personally) greater stability and control over the rhythm and attack... Sweep/tapping - maybe.... But again, look at a guy like Paul Gilbert or Michael Lee Firkins... THey pick anchored and when they engage in a sweep/tap lick they MODIFY their technique for that moment and unanchor their hand because it's practical....

The point is, for 99% of the stuff you're going to do on guitar, the anochored/unanchored question is not too important. It really is a matter of comfort and personal preference. For every virtuoso that plays anchored there is one that plays unanchored.

It's the same as playinjg with the thumb over the top of the fingerboard, or using the pinky extensively. Some do, some don't. If you can get the notes to come out the way you wanat them to, why does it really matter??

• Members

There are times to anchor, and there are time not to anchor. As a player it's best to know the "techniques" of what you're "hearing".

Sometimes those techniques will fit you, sometimes they don't. But unless a player has an odd, or really a "not so common", technique (Steve Morse, EVH, etc...) you can find 'how to' play something kind of naturally and it'll turn out you visually hear it like many others hear it and play it.

First off, be your own player, secondly...do understand there are common ways to do things, thirdly...do what seems right to you.

• Members

The only thing that limits you is lack of flexibility... I think that if you try a technique and it feels cumbersome or stiffling, you should explore alternative techniques to that one.

As far as plectrum style guitar playing, I have yet to see a person that plays unanchored able to do things a person who is equally skilled can't do while in an anchored position.

What exactly do you think that unanchored positioning helps you with?? String skipping?? You can use hybrid picking to bridge the gap between strings for the first note on the new string... Sweep picking??? I actually like anchoring better here, as it gives me (personally) greater stability and control over the rhythm and attack... Sweep/tapping - maybe.... But again, look at a guy like Paul Gilbert or Michael Lee Firkins... THey pick anchored and when they engage in a sweep/tap lick they MODIFY their technique for that moment and unanchor their hand because it's practical....

The point is, for 99% of the stuff you're going to do on guitar, the anochored/unanchored question is not too important. It really is a matter of comfort and personal preference. For every virtuoso that plays anchored there is one that plays unanchored.

It's the same as playinjg with the thumb over the top of the fingerboard, or using the pinky extensively. Some do, some don't. If you can get the notes to come out the way you wanat them to, why does it really matter??

Pride and Joy? And similiar. Anything with quick strum/pick moves? And I don't mean small strums. Wide strums that need to be that way for it to sound right. I am sure it could be done, but not quite the same.

Just curious about this stuff. I do believe however that learning to play unanchored was a good thing.

So no it doesn't matter if you can "get the notes to come out the way you want" But, sometimes, you can't.

• Members

Pride and Joy? And similiar. Anything with quick strum/pick moves? And I don't mean small strums. Wide strums that need to be that way for it to sound right. I am sure it could be done, but not quite the same.

Just curious about this stuff. I do believe however that learning to play unanchored was a good thing.

So no it doesn't matter
if
you can "get the notes to come out the way you want" But, sometimes, you can't.

Agreed. but I don't thin kI have ever seen a person anchor while strumming.. It is usually for more precise work, like arpeggiation, melodies, etc. There are advantages to it, like muting, etc. but when doing a strum or super agressive attack, like in funk rhythm (which is a form f strumming) it would be exceedingly difficult to anchor and get the proper timefeel, groove and agression you get from not anchoring... but that is why there is a time and a place for every type of technique.

if you watch the Tuck Andress video "Fingerstyle mastery" he discusses utilizing different techniques or even theoretical concepts and applying them differently.

he gives an example of playing a bassline with the thumb over the top. Then he says, ok, that is what THAT yields. What if I now tied playing the same bassline with my fingers?? It yields different results... The stretch is different, notes you can reach change, articulation, etc.

There is a time to use it and a time to not.

Thus, the more techniques and ideas you have in your arsenal, the more flexible you'll be at the end of the day.

Also, if you believe that playing yunanchored is the way to go, and it works for you, then it is certainly a good thing.

• Members

Very true. Now if you are tapping and you are still anchored then there is a problem. :lol:

Archived