Understanding: What seventh chords are? (Maj, Min, Dom, Dim)

• Members

Hey guys!

Thank you to everyone again for the all the kind responses!

Today we are progressing into the world of seventh chords!

We just build on the theory we have already learnt through the last two video's. Really easy stuff!

Like always grab a pen and paper for notes or print out the description.

This video explains what the four main types of 7th chord are, and how to create them,

[video=youtube;8Db4wlA8az0]

Pat

• Members

How did you get such a long vid by the u2b vid length police?

Hmm i haven't actually thought about this sorry, i remember after i posted a certain amount of video's youtube said something like

"congrats you can now post video's longer than 15minutes"

Not sure mate, can't exactly remember

• Members

I think you should write your examples out in standard notation and tab as you go. It takes a little more time to get it on the board, but is much clearer I think.

A very good suggestion jon,

But definitely take it onboard after this series of simple video's,

Thanks buddy,

Pat

• Members

I was going to comment in the last thread (the theory drama thread) that you should be sure to cover sus chords and dyads BEFORE you create an "extended chords thread". Which is what I assumed would be coming next and then BANG, here's the extended chord thread. You still have some less than four note chords to explain.

• Members

I was going to comment in the last thread (the theory drama thread) that you should be sure to cover sus chords and dyads BEFORE you create an "extended chords thread". Which is what I assumed would be coming next and then BANG, here's the extended chord thread. You still have some less than four note chords to explain.

I've filmed a stack of chord theory video's. The only reason why I chose 7th chords before others is just because I use them more.

That's the only reason. I definitely get where you are coming from though!

Next time there will be more thought into ordering,

Thanks for the tip gennation :-)

• Members

gennation,

I'm not new the guitar but I am new to theory and structured learning. The one thing I don't really have however is a road map of the most logical (for want of a better word) sequence with which to progress through the various "topics". I have tried a couple of teachers who were good players but I feel were not good, methodical teachers so I am going alone for a while. It seems a lot of lesson material out there does jump straight from triads to sevenths so I am very interested in the comments you have made. Without wanting to trigger another debating thread, could you perhaps elaborate a little for someone at my level and perhaps even point me in the direction of some "solid" explanations of the concepts you mention?

Thanks in advance, I would be very grateful for your advice.

(Edit: would something like this suffice? - with the addition of the sus2 which isn't mentioned)

And Patrick, I got some good stuff from your lesson on sevenths - other material I had read did a poor job of explaining why the double flat concept in the full diminished for example, merely stating that the enharmonic equivalent would signify "an augmented second" - I didn't get that at all. So thanks again.

Archived