Modes! - What They Sound Like

mosiddiqi

• Members

Nice Job Mo! You've got a knack for lessons on video. I always get tongue-tied when I have to talk directly to the camera.

Try play those modal (D drone) jams in this order:

D lydian

D Ionian

D Mixolydian

D Dorian

D Aeolian

D Phrygian

D Locrian

Lemme know if you notice anything!

• Members

Thanks Guys!..Jon, I'll give that a go this afternoon and see if anything occurs to my poor brain. :o

Edit: I just played it..I haven't been awake long..so not much occurred other than it actually sounded nicer somehow by playing all the Major sounding modes first..

• Members

Thanks Guys!..Jon, I'll give that a go this afternoon and see if anything occurs to my poor brain.
:o

Edit: I just played it..I haven't been awake long..so not much occurred other than it actually sounded nicer somehow by playing all the Major sounding modes first..

I think Jon's point is that in that order you always change (lower) one not to get to the next mode.

• Members

Great vid Mo! If I had any criticism it would only be that maybe you should say the name of each mode as you demonstrate it so that the listener could make a stronger connection. Aside from that - killer dude!

Thanks Jeremy!..I actually thought about that..I then figured that most people already know the names, but don't pay enough attention to the sound. Having said that, you're right about building a stronger connection..so I may do another vid talking about what's distinctive about each mode from my point of view. :thu:

• Members

Cool stuff. I'm glad nobody got burned alive for discussing the "M" topic!!

You can edit you video and add helpful annotations to your video. I understand it's no fun to yell "Lydian" while you are getting in the groove. I did this here:

[video=youtube;CEom8rRPzrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEom8rRPzrE

(When I fist put this video up here on LL last year I got such a negative reaction that I left for a while. It seems the online social climate is more mode friendly there days. Thank goodness!)

Jeremy Green's new mode lessons are great too. Check 'em out if you have not already.

Here's another run-down on them as well:

http://carychiltonforums.yuku.com/topic/98/Diatonic-Modes-on-the-Guitar-Fretboard

PAGE27textmodes06Q3.jpg

KEEP UP THE GREAT STUFF! :)

• Members

Seriously Mo... Iv'e seen a ton of lesson videos and you are damn good at these. Great sense of humor and very well explained.

Great vid Mo! If I had any criticism it would only be that maybe you should say the name of each mode as you demonstrate it so that the listener could make a stronger connection. Aside from that - killer dude!

This indeed. What I would do at this point is just put a little YouTube comment bubble in the video when you change modes. They're really easy to add,

edit: like JP said/did

• Members

Cool stuff. I'm glad nobody got burned alive for discussing the "M" topic!!

Jeremy Green's new mode lessons are great too. Check 'em out if you have not already.

Hi JP - would you mind pointing me in the direction of these?

Archived