Guitar lessons with backing tracks

• Members

Hi, guys

Im wondering whats the best way to give guitar lessons with backing tracks?

What program should I use for playback etc...

In the past I did lessons at our rehersal space and ran midi sequences off of a keyboard, but im doing them at home and its no longer pracitcal to have the keyboard here.

I have pro tools 8 for what its worth for recording but I have no idea how it would work for this.

Any other programs would be fine

basically what I have in mind is my student comes into my house

I write up a lesson (or have it written up already)

we go over it bit just us then put on headphones and play through the computer.

I have a line 6 pod at home to use for one guitar part but I was wondering if I could use something like Amplitube for living playing for two guitars on this?   Would that be possible (or at least one and the pod for the other)

Thanks

• Members

Hi there,

I have some thoughts. First, speakers are far preferable to headphones. Second, Band in a box is an excellent product for creating (nearly) instant backing tracks. You don't have quite the control you would have with creating your own tracks from scratch in Pro Tools but it will save you a lot of time allowing you to concentrate on teaching.

Is it necessary for you both to go through the computer? Presumably you have an amp as well so one of you go through that.

You could also look into 'irealb' as a much cheaper alternative to Band in a box. I haven't used it but a couple of people have told me it's pretty good.

I hope that helps.

• Members

I use a macbook pro for my backing track playback. i just open the folder that contains the backing track, select the track i want then hit the spacebar. That brings up a "preview" that will play the track. it works fine when all you need is start/stop controls.

Less time fiddling with computer=more time paying attention to student.

Sometimes I'll run Amplitube instead of an amp and it works fine.

If you need to change the pitch/tempo of the track, amplitube's recorder function will let you do that too.

Archived