Audio Video recording

Hesh

• Members

Hi,

I am wondering if someone could help me out. I was wondering if there is a software that can seperate each track from your favorite CD and then allow you to edit those tracks? Even to go so far as to mute those tracks?

• Members

Hesh wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering if someone could help me out. I was wondering if there is a software that can seperate each track from your favorite CD and then allow you to edit those tracks? Even to go so far as to mute those tracks?

Short answer, no.  Longer answer also no, AFAIK.

A CD contains stereo tracks - ie just two channels.  Two channels create the illusion of a stereo spectrum with instruments in different positions, but in reality  most instruments are contained partially in both channels (just at different levels in each).  Panning can make some instruments louder and others softer, but won't remove them entirely unless they really are mixed hard left or hard right.

When it comes to frequency bands, again most instruments share a lot of the same frequencies, so EQ controls won't remove anything completely - with the possible exception of bass, although bass still has upper overtones, and other instruments can range down into bass register.

We can distinguish instruments via their timbre, but also by the way they  play different things at different times.  No software is that sophisticated.

The best you can do is with software that will isolate certain EQ bands, or put the stereo channels out of phase so that anything panned dead centre is removed.

Removing anything centre-panned can be useful for learning guitar parts, because it's usually vocals that are in the centre, and removing those helps you hear other parts.  Centre removal usually removes bass instruments too.  This will only work with stereo tracks, not mono.

Transcribe software lets you do both the above.  It calls vocal removal the "karaoke" function, for obvious reasons ;).  I haven't found the various EQ setting very useful myself - only bass remove and bass select are much use, IMO.

Archived