Modern Method For Guitar Volume 2 - "Assumed Root" Question

Tricky

• Members

Hi All,

Currently working my way through this book. Page 22 (Chord Forms) of my edition introduces the G9 and G9 (+5) "Assumed Root 1" forms. 

As a general comment, I notice that this fingering is the same as the Bm7b5 (root5)  and the Dm6 (root2) forms...

I'm a little confused about the concept of "assumed root" and was hoping someone could help me get my head around it. Would it make more sense if I thought of this chord as the dominant chord within its key? If so would that mean that I would somehow "hear" the G as being implied somehow? Is there a reason it is assumed and not fingered?

As you can see I'm confused!

Thanks in advance...

• Members

Well, you could finger the root, but mostly it could muddy up the chord. There is the likelihood of playing with other players assumed in there as well (I assume). Meaning the bass player or piano likely has the root covered. Typically these types of shell voicings are more practical to use in this setting. They cut through better.

It is basically saying "when you are looking for a G sound"... not a B or D. Used this way it functions as a G chord. Chords can usually be many different names. So ultimately everything comes down to function. 

Archived