The Scale That Will Change Your Life

Virgman

• Members

Last time I checked Guitar World, it was still FOS. Only opinion I have.

Flatten or sharpen, I do. The difference here is I'll apex at the outside notes and simply change key or failing that, wank right past any subsequent occurrences. Working with the octaves is something I haven't done. Got to get on it. Thanks.

GW too.

• Members

Apparently the author of the article spent some time in marketing and advertising. Otherwise I have no idea how he learned how to commit such an act of outrageous hyperbole.

I'm with Bydo. It's Harmonic Minor lite. Side stepping is just as easy, but it will change dipaers instead.

• Members

It's not harmonic minor, but is a subset of the altered dominant scale. 

IOW, in key of A minor, it's 5  notes from the E altered scale, aka F melodic minor.

As F melodic minor, the 5 notes would be E G Ab C D.  As "E altered", the Ab becomes G#, 3rd of the chord, while the G becomes the #9 (or b10). (The missing 2 notes are F and Bb, not A.)

It's therefore solid conventional jazz on the E7 chord.  As such, it's designed to resolve on to the Am chord, not be played on the Am chord itself.  But omitting the F and Bb does make it sit better on Am (because they are both "avoid notes").

Archived