Master of Puppets - Time Signature

• Members

Hi, Can someone give me some insight to the timing on the song master of puppets by metallica.. I find the chugging verse riff ("end of passion play, crumbling away..") to be difficult to reproduce.. i read somewhere that the song is in 9/8 but I'm not sure. .I don't know all that much about odd time signatures so if someone could give me some information about how to count it out.. I've used some software to slow (which makes counting possible) it down but I'm still a little confused

• Members

I don't know what the correct time signature is, but it's helpful to break down the weirder ones.

For example, you can think of 6/4 has 4/4 followed by 2/4. Or 6/8 as 3/8 followed by another 3/8.

The key is to break it down by the song's natural pulse.

• Members

Apologies for straying off-topic, but 9/8 isn't necessarily an odd time signature (which I ~think~ Terje might be pointing out). The 9/8s I always have to deal with are essentially 3 triplets, which is to me much more simple than say, 5 beats followed by 4 (or vice versa).

• Members

Originally posted by colormebloodred

yes, indeed it is, but 3-3-3 is more common so i just omitted that

That's cool. I'm just trying to support your point that the song is interesting by pointing out that it even changes the grouping from bar to bar.

• Members

im sure you would like a real answer not losers straying off topic

the verse riff for puppets consists of 3 bars of 4/4 timing, and 1 bar of 5/8 timing.

try and break it down and learn the first 2 bars, "End of passion play". the 3rd bar starts at crumbling away

im not sure how skilled you are, but basically, 1+2+3+4+ of pm'd open E's for the first bar, the second bar is again all 8th notes, like so

0 3 5 0 6 5 3 5

palm mute the 0's and powerchord the others. remember sliding to them, but i figured you asked for help on timing, not how to play it like it is

The second half of the verse riff, "Crumbling away" again, the first bar is 1+2+3+4+ of pm'd E's, and the final bar of 5/8 timing goes like

0 3 5 3 5

again pm the 0 and powerchord the other notes

basically, draw up 4 barlines, and the music/tab put in the relevant 4 bars, and do NOT play it at 220 bpm yet. play it pretty slow till you know when the changes are and such

hope it helps

• 10 years later...
  • Members

it's 4/4 4/4 4/4 11/16 so you can break this into two bars of 4/4 and one bar of 4/4 followed by bar of 2/4 + 3/16. it's pretty easy to understand, just imagine half of full 4/4 bar and 3 quick 16th notes, just try it. but this rhythm sounds pretty natural so you can play this part without thinking about it. the 11/16 bar sounds like 3/4 but a little bit faster. don't worry, your brain will understand :D

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Jeremy,

These are fake posts.

Notice this is an old thread suddenly revived by two folks with only one post to their names, no avatar, etc.  Do not reply to posts from members with only 1 post.  These are planted by HC employees to stimulate activity.  They are doing this on all the forums.

Very irritating.

We should check the poster before replying to these fake posts.

Archived