Any tricks to playing odd tuplets (ie. 5's, 7's, etc.)

• Members

I always hear "huckleberrypie" ...yeah, dumb i know, from my grade school music instructor.

For me, I simply think of a 3 note lick up and down. For instance the fingers 4 2 1 2 4. I just hear that "de da do da de" in my head. And for 7s I hear 4 + 3 like 4 2 1 2 4 2 1 or "de da do da de da do".

I definately dont sit and say "huck-le-ber-ry-pie" over and over. Its more just a groove like triplets.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I watched some drum lesson on Youtube talk about quintuplets and he used:

tih kah dah nah kah

That stuck with me.  I like "university" though, that seems a little easier.

john_trahearn wrote:

I've been using a great little iPhone app called Rhythm Calculator to practice some compicated tuplets in some pieces that i'm learning at the moment. You can put pretty much any tuplet in and it will play it back in a loop. Might be worth giving it a try..?

Cool, thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've found it helpful to get a solid feel for 2s and 3s, and then just break everything down into some combination of those.

2s to me feel like a clock ticking back and forth (1-and, 2-and, 3-and, 4-and).

3s feel more round-shaped (if that makes any sense), so I kind of picture a circular motion...(1-and-a, 2-and-a, 3-and-a, 4-and-a)

If you can feel those two types of rhythm, and switch back and forth while keeping the 8th note pulse, then you can create any odd rhythm.

5 can be 2+3 (1-and, 2-and-a) or 3+2 (1-and-a, 2-and).

7 can be 2+2+3 (1-and, 2-and, 3-and-a), 2+3+2 (1-and, 2-and-a, 3-and), or 3+2+2 (1-and-a, 2-and, 3-and).

The most important thing is to feel the downbeat of each of those 2 or 3 groups.....i.e. the numbers.

Archived