Will EHX come out with a "Polysynth"??

• Members

Got my amp situation figured out, and now I'm back to looking at pedals...... Sooooo, does anybody here maybe have any secret info, any special contacts with Electro Harmonix, and know whether they plan to come out with a polyphonic version of that Mono Synth pedal currently on our page??

I was excited about their (polyphonic) Synth9 pedal, but sound clips and lack of control kinda turned me off. It's got no expression pedal option!! Most of the sounds had a similar attack envelope, and it seems like you can't control it much. I like the Mono Synth sound clips and like how an exp pedal adds a whole third knob of control.

Buuut it's monophonic. Only good for leads or "perfect" interval pads.

So if anybody (ahem) knows of secret plans at EHX headquarters, feel free to spill the beans!

Got my amp situation figured out, and now I'm back to looking at pedals...... Sooooo, does anybody here maybe have any secret info, any special contacts with Electro Harmonix, and know whether they plan to come out with a polyphonic version of that Mono Synth pedal currently on our page??

I was excited about their (polyphonic) Synth9 pedal, but sound clips and lack of control kinda turned me off. It's got no expression pedal option!! Most of the sounds had a similar attack envelope, and it seems like you can't control it much. I like the Mono Synth sound clips and like how an exp pedal adds a whole third knob of control.

Buuut it's monophonic. Only good for leads or "perfect" interval pads.

So if anybody (ahem) knows of secret plans at EHX headquarters, feel free to spill the beans!

I know the folks over at EHX pretty well, but they don't tell me about pedals that are in development in advance... and even if they did (some companies do...) I wouldn't be at liberty to divulge embargoed press information before the announcement date - sorry.

Have you ever looked at the Boss SY 300? That might better suit your needs / preferences - it's quite a bit more expensive though. But it does have a lot more control and editing capabilities than the EHX "keyboard" pedals do.

• Members

I know the folks over at EHX pretty well, but they don't tell me about pedals that are in development in advance... and even if they did (some companies do...) I wouldn't be at liberty to divulge embargoed press information before the announcement date - sorry.

Have you ever looked at the Boss SY 300? That might better suit your needs / preferences - it's quite a bit more expensive though. But it does have a lot more control and editing capabilities than the EHX "keyboard" pedals do.

Boss just announced the SY-1

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Boss-SY-1.jpg","data-attachmentid":32550230}[/ATTACH]

Boss-SY-1.jpg.cba3ee183754f783d3356972a2d552f6.jpg

Boss just announced the SY-1

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Boss-SY-1.jpg","data-attachmentid":32550230}[/ATTACH]

Officially?

Unless it came in today, I haven't received anything from them about this yet... and they're usually really good about sending me their new product announcements...

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up bieke!

• Members

Did you read my review?

It's a very cool pedal - all of the EHX "keyboard" pedals that I've tried so far are.

That's what inspired me. Thanks for the response above. The SY 300 is a bit out of my price range (and pedalboard real estate) for now, but I'll compare the Mono Synth to the new SY1.

I've been in a creative rut, feeling like what I write always ends up being 80s-esque (in Dorian mode for some reason), and I feel like I'm not up to speed with what the youngsters are making in the Brooklyn rock clubs; there's tons of synths and synth sounds these days. Plain guitar/bass/drums is a rarity; even the revival of grunge has passed into the past by now. So I'm thinking back to my youth... Pedals and textures were always very inspiring for creativity. Find a sound you like and then write a song around it, with the production/texture (i.e., effects) making it sound unique and innovative. That's one way I used to write good stuff.

I had long thought about getting one of the EHX 9-series pedals, but they all seem to have the same sounding attack; the Mono Synth sounded distinct from them and more enticing than the Synth 9. I'm not sure if Boss has quite pulled off the guitar wave-reshaping and polyphony as well as EHX somehow did, but I'll get to looking/listening.

• Members
That EHX mono synth is very tempting especially at $125 street.:)

EXACTLY!!! This is the only price I see for the Boss SY-1 in dollars so far: $309. That's not quite "a little fun money." https://www.riffsandlicks.com.au/bos...sizer-fx-pedal

But ooohhh, the Boss does have an FX loop for just the synth sounds. That's kinda key. I have the EHX Superego, and I absolutely must place a cheap EQ in the loop for it to sound good.

I suppose I could get a cheap FX loop pedal online (maybe on Etsy, ha) to put the Monosynth and one of my old, cheapo Boss EQs in.

• Members

I'm still thinking about getting a guitar synth for a "synth ready" guitar that I've had for quite a while now. It takes one of those multi-pin cords. I think Roland is one of the manufacturers, and I've seen one in action in (of all things) a reggae band. They were using it to emulate steel drums and organ.

Yeah I did read it thats actually how I found out about it. Great job btw, but certainly didn't help my gear acquisition syndrome any.:D

Well, if you're looking for Gearheads Anonymous, you've come to the wrong place... :lol:;)

Thanks for checking out the review! :0

I'm still thinking about getting a guitar synth for a "synth ready" guitar that I've had for quite a while now. It takes one of those multi-pin cords. I think Roland is one of the manufacturers' date=' and I've seen one in action in (of all things) a reggae band. They were using it to emulate steel drums and organ.[/quote']

What model guitar do you have?

It does sound like you're describing something with a Roland GK-2 or GK-3 hex pickup built-in. They use a round 13 pin plug / cable. Any of the Roland guitar synths released since 1992 should work with it.

• Members

What model guitar do you have?

It does sound like you're describing something with a Roland GK-2 or GK-3 hex pickup built-in. They use a round 13 pin plug / cable. Any of the Roland guitar synths released since 1992 should work with it.

It's a Carvin NS-1, nylon strings, tele looks. I think those are the Roland models that connect with it. It's just a matter of budget for now.

• Members

Assuming EHX is using its polyphonic pitch shifting platform from POG/HOG, I don't see why polyphony wouldn't be possible. Maybe they left it mono to more faithfully emulate the synths it is supposed to sound like?

• Members

Well now GAS has struck. I remembered I’ve wanted the Strymon Flint for a while to replace my old homemade Trem and so I could have reverb when going just through my plexi clone.

And then looking at further reviews of it, I got turned on to the Fulltone SupaTrem2, which sounds better but wouldn’t kill both birds.

Maybe i should limit my food diet to just bologna sandwiches till this passes. Get a SupaTrem, a Monosynth, and some economical reverb pedal for the end of the chain.

• Members

There's a really good iOS app from Korg that does a nice job of recreating the sound of that classic synth...

iPolysix

It is also one of the many classic Korg synths that lives inside my Kronos. Very cool the way they laid out the various synths so that you can program them almost as you would the originals.

The virtual MS-20 is a lot of fun!

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.muzykuj.com\/ufiles\/test-602\/image\/korg%20kronos\/Korg%20Kronos%20(6).jpg"}[/img2]

• Members
Weeeeell... if you have a Kronos, you don't really need that iPad app... ;)

Lucky guy! :cool2:

Yeah, I love that board. Had one since they first introduced it. Ironically, it's the first Korg board I've ever owned as I was never a big fan of their products back in the day. They always seemed to me to be kind of cheaper knock-offs of what Moog, Sequential Circuits, Roland and others were doing at the time. But there really isn't much I can't do with it.

Archived