Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will EHX come out with a "Polysynth"??

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will EHX come out with a "Polysynth"??

    Got my amp situation figured out, and now I'm back to looking at pedals...... Sooooo, does anybody here maybe have any secret info, any special contacts with Electro Harmonix, and know whether they plan to come out with a polyphonic version of that Mono Synth pedal currently on our page??

    I was excited about their (polyphonic) Synth9 pedal, but sound clips and lack of control kinda turned me off. It's got no expression pedal option!! Most of the sounds had a similar attack envelope, and it seems like you can't control it much. I like the Mono Synth sound clips and like how an exp pedal adds a whole third knob of control.

    Buuut it's monophonic. Only good for leads or "perfect" interval pads.

    So if anybody (ahem) knows of secret plans at EHX headquarters, feel free to spill the beans!
    For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
    https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K


    My (old dead) band!:
    www.steelphantoms.com/
    PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

  • #2
    Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
    Got my amp situation figured out, and now I'm back to looking at pedals...... Sooooo, does anybody here maybe have any secret info, any special contacts with Electro Harmonix, and know whether they plan to come out with a polyphonic version of that Mono Synth pedal currently on our page??

    I was excited about their (polyphonic) Synth9 pedal, but sound clips and lack of control kinda turned me off. It's got no expression pedal option!! Most of the sounds had a similar attack envelope, and it seems like you can't control it much. I like the Mono Synth sound clips and like how an exp pedal adds a whole third knob of control.

    Buuut it's monophonic. Only good for leads or "perfect" interval pads.

    So if anybody (ahem) knows of secret plans at EHX headquarters, feel free to spill the beans!
    I know the folks over at EHX pretty well, but they don't tell me about pedals that are in development in advance... and even if they did (some companies do...) I wouldn't be at liberty to divulge embargoed press information before the announcement date - sorry.

    Have you ever looked at the Boss SY 300? That might better suit your needs / preferences - it's quite a bit more expensive though. But it does have a lot more control and editing capabilities than the EHX "keyboard" pedals do.

    **********

    "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

    "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

    "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

      I know the folks over at EHX pretty well, but they don't tell me about pedals that are in development in advance... and even if they did (some companies do...) I wouldn't be at liberty to divulge embargoed press information before the announcement date - sorry.

      Have you ever looked at the Boss SY 300? That might better suit your needs / preferences - it's quite a bit more expensive though. But it does have a lot more control and editing capabilities than the EHX "keyboard" pedals do.
      Boss just announced the SY-1

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss-SY-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	32550230

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bieke View Post

        Boss just announced the SY-1

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss-SY-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	32550230
        Officially?

        Unless it came in today, I haven't received anything from them about this yet... and they're usually really good about sending me their new product announcements...

        Anyway, thanks for the heads-up bieke!
        **********

        "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

        "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

        "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

          Officially?

          Unless it came in today, I haven't received anything from them about this yet... and they're usually really good about sending me their new product announcements...

          Anyway, thanks for the heads-up bieke!
          yup, it's official
          https://www.boss.info/uk/products/sy-1/

          Comment


          • #6
            That EHX mono synth is very tempting especially at $125 street.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Warhorse View Post
              That EHX mono synth is very tempting especially at $125 street.
              Did you read my review?

              It's a very cool pedal - all of the EHX "keyboard" pedals that I've tried so far are.

              **********

              "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
              - George Carlin

              "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
              - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

              "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
              - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bieke View Post
                Thanks - it's probably sitting in my HC News email box since it looks like it was just announced today.
                **********

                "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                - George Carlin

                "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

                  Did you read my review?

                  It's a very cool pedal - all of the EHX "keyboard" pedals that I've tried so far are.
                  That's what inspired me. Thanks for the response above. The SY 300 is a bit out of my price range (and pedalboard real estate) for now, but I'll compare the Mono Synth to the new SY1.

                  I've been in a creative rut, feeling like what I write always ends up being 80s-esque (in Dorian mode for some reason), and I feel like I'm not up to speed with what the youngsters are making in the Brooklyn rock clubs; there's tons of synths and synth sounds these days. Plain guitar/bass/drums is a rarity; even the revival of grunge has passed into the past by now. So I'm thinking back to my youth... Pedals and textures were always very inspiring for creativity. Find a sound you like and then write a song around it, with the production/texture (i.e., effects) making it sound unique and innovative. That's one way I used to write good stuff.

                  I had long thought about getting one of the EHX 9-series pedals, but they all seem to have the same sounding attack; the Mono Synth sounded distinct from them and more enticing than the Synth 9. I'm not sure if Boss has quite pulled off the guitar wave-reshaping and polyphony as well as EHX somehow did, but I'll get to looking/listening.
                  For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
                  https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K


                  My (old dead) band!:
                  www.steelphantoms.com/
                  PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Warhorse View Post
                    That EHX mono synth is very tempting especially at $125 street.
                    EXACTLY!!! This is the only price I see for the Boss SY-1 in dollars so far: $309. That's not quite "a little fun money." https://www.riffsandlicks.com.au/bos...sizer-fx-pedal

                    But ooohhh, the Boss does have an FX loop for just the synth sounds. That's kinda key. I have the EHX Superego, and I absolutely must place a cheap EQ in the loop for it to sound good.

                    I suppose I could get a cheap FX loop pedal online (maybe on Etsy, ha) to put the Monosynth and one of my old, cheapo Boss EQs in.
                    Last edited by arcadesonfire; 07-11-2019, 11:10 AM.
                    For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
                    https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K


                    My (old dead) band!:
                    www.steelphantoms.com/
                    PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

                      Did you read my review?

                      It's a very cool pedal - all of the EHX "keyboard" pedals that I've tried so far are.
                      Yeah I did read it thats actually how I found out about it. Great job btw, but certainly didn't help my gear acquisition syndrome any.
                      Last edited by Warhorse; 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm still thinking about getting a guitar synth for a "synth ready" guitar that I've had for quite a while now. It takes one of those multi-pin cords. I think Roland is one of the manufacturers, and I've seen one in action in (of all things) a reggae band. They were using it to emulate steel drums and organ.
                        (When in court, after swearing to tell the truth) "Facts are facts and alternative facts are perjury."

                        ...Julia Olson, executive director, Our Children's Trust

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Warhorse View Post

                          Yeah I did read it thats actually how I found out about it. Great job btw, but certainly didn't help my gear acquisition syndrome any.
                          Well, if you're looking for Gearheads Anonymous, you've come to the wrong place...

                          Thanks for checking out the review!
                          **********

                          "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                          - George Carlin

                          "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                          - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                          "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                          - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by thankyou View Post
                            I'm still thinking about getting a guitar synth for a "synth ready" guitar that I've had for quite a while now. It takes one of those multi-pin cords. I think Roland is one of the manufacturers, and I've seen one in action in (of all things) a reggae band. They were using it to emulate steel drums and organ.
                            What model guitar do you have?

                            It does sound like you're describing something with a Roland GK-2 or GK-3 hex pickup built-in. They use a round 13 pin plug / cable. Any of the Roland guitar synths released since 1992 should work with it.
                            **********

                            "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                            - George Carlin

                            "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                            "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

                              What model guitar do you have?

                              It does sound like you're describing something with a Roland GK-2 or GK-3 hex pickup built-in. They use a round 13 pin plug / cable. Any of the Roland guitar synths released since 1992 should work with it.
                              It's a Carvin NS-1, nylon strings, tele looks. I think those are the Roland models that connect with it. It's just a matter of budget for now.
                              (When in court, after swearing to tell the truth) "Facts are facts and alternative facts are perjury."

                              ...Julia Olson, executive director, Our Children's Trust

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X