Got out the old soldering iron and did some things (non-effects content)

jhamnett

• Members

Rewired my '90s Strat Plus Deluxe - went from a 13 sound Strat with three mini-toggles for each pickup to a Nashville-X system (Nashville-X Strat Switching). Also swapped the crappy pearl PG for a nice B-W-B 3 ply. Way classier. Have BG V60s in neck and middle, S90 in bridge.

Built a Tweed Deluxe 5E3 from a Boot Hill kit. Added a 3-way switch for NFB to tame the amp a bit when wanting more headroom. WGS G12Q speaker.

• Members
How do you like the Deluxe clone? Was it hard to build?

LOVE it! Definitely nailed down some Neil tones with the LP and it's a dream with the Strat. Might tighten up some of the wiring to reduce him. Otherwise, couldn't be happier.

I used the Stew Mac instructions, along with Rob Robinette's tube amp page to help me along. Worked on the first shot :philthumb:

I used the Stew Mac instructions, along with Rob Robinette's tube amp page to help me along. Worked on the first shot :philthumb:

Congratulations! :philthumb:

I’ve always wanted a tweed Deluxe, and that is one of those projects I plan on getting to one of these days...

• Members

Congratulations! :philthumb:

I’ve always wanted a tweed Deluxe, and that is one of those projects I plan on getting to one of these days...

what are you waiting for? don't wait until its too late :)

you know there also the BYOC tweed royal kit with the greatest instructions you ever need

what are you waiting for? don't wait until its too late :)

you know there also the BYOC tweed royal kit with the greatest instructions you ever need

It isn’t the instructions so much (I can read a schematic... ;) ) as it is finding the time... and to a somewhat lesser degree, the money. Or more accurately, the justification to spend the money.

But I really do want to build one eventually.

• Members

It isn’t the instructions so much (I can read a schematic... ;) ) as it is finding the time... and to a somewhat lesser degree, the money. Or more accurately, the justification to spend the money.

But I really do want to build one eventually.

i compared some kits and what instructions they come with, and i also can read schematic, hell i can explain how they work, but it is much much easier to have a step by step guide, than the full wiring diagramm and the schematic and a hgh level instruction list "unpack everything, solder like the wiring diagram, turn it on"

and that said, depending which speaker you take, the byoc tweet royal is one of the cheapest all in one 5e3 kits with arournd $800, thats not much money, especially you will have use for the final amp in your studio right?

or does your studio already have one 5e3 type amp?

• Members
Nope' date=' I don’t currently have a 5e3 Deluxe.... and yes, it would be a nice option to have in the studio. [/quote']

so go on, its just a swipe of a credit card away :)

and as for lacking time my tweed royal took me less than 2 weekends afternoons, and i did it very slow, measuring everything twice, looking 3 or 4 times if i have everythng right, have been very careful doin it....

it can be done easily in one day, if you can fully concentrate the whole time on the project, its not like freemans guitars which are a project for months.

thats a good thing but also a bad one, as building as much fun it is, is so fast over :)

• Members

so go on, its just a swipe of a credit card away :)

and as for lacking time my tweed royal took me less than 2 weekends afternoons, and i did it very slow, measuring everything twice, looking 3 or 4 times if i have everythng right, have been very careful doin it....

it can be done easily in one day, if you can fully concentrate the whole time on the project, its not like freemans guitars which are a project for months.

thats a good thing but also a bad one, as building as much fun it is, is so fast over :)

Seconded.

If I wasn't living in a condo and had a dedicated workspace, I could've likely finished it in a day with a good 6 to 8 hours. As it was, really took me the same 6 to 8 hours spread over weeks, not including workspace setup and breakdown time.

Archived