Faith No More - The Real Thing Feedback/Delay effect

MrChippy

• Members

This has bothered me for decades, and I’m wondering if anyone can put me out of my misery.

There is an bandsaw noise that appears on the ‘The Real Thing’ album, most notably at the ends of the songs The Real Thing and War Pigs. To me, it sounds like feedback, delay and wah, but I’ve never been able to recreate it with feedback, delay and wah.

Is it something to do with those heavy Morley effects pedals Jim Martin is fond of? He doesn’t seem to be a big effects guy (guitar>Morley>Evantide harmoniser>amp)... or is it some studio trick?

If anyone could clear this up for me (maybe someone who owns Morley effects), that’d be great.

This has bothered me for decades, and I’m wondering if anyone can put me out of my misery.

There is an bandsaw noise that appears on the ‘The Real Thing’ album, most notably at the ends of the songs The Real Thing and War Pigs. To me, it sounds like feedback, delay and wah, but I’ve never been able to recreate it with feedback, delay and wah.

Is it something to do with those heavy Morley effects pedals Jim Martin is fond of? He doesn’t seem to be a big effects guy (guitar>Morley>Evantide harmoniser>amp)... or is it some studio trick?

If anyone could clear this up for me (maybe someone who owns Morley effects), that’d be great.

I agree that it definitely sounds like there's a feedback component there... and maybe the wah too... I'm not hearing the delay so much as maybe a... square wave tremolo with a fairly fast rate? :idk:

I honestly don't know how they created that sound, but it is definitely an interesting and rather unusual sound... wish I could be more helpful and definitive about what it is, but again, I just don't know. :idk:

BTW, welcome to Harmony Central! :wave:

Archived