Warm Fuzz Pedal Recommendation for Stoner Rock

• Members

Hi guys,

im looking for recommendations for a guitar fuzz pedal. I simply want something that is warm, dark, and not too high end EQ-wise. But also that has clarity and doesn’t get too muddy or ‘wash’ sounding. I play stoner rock music.

i bought the zvex fuzz factory Vexter series and although I like certain settings and the warmth, all the glitchy compressed weird sounds that come with it became annoying for me and I’d like something more simple and straightforward.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Members

on the cheap you can't go wrong with an ehx big muff, if you go for the new small box reissue of the opamp, green russian or triangle, or the standard one you have to try out and deide yourself (i am/was tempted to buy all three, but have resisted so far :))

i also have an eqd hoof fuzz, which is basically some sort of big muff with more tonal options and go until the scooped mids metal distortion range which a muff can't. i have both on my board but wthdifferent settings and differen sounds.

i just recentely modded my tele with bigsby, bridge humbucker and thicker strings and downtuned to d standard tuning for "stoner rock"

this setup acts and sounds complete differentely to my pedals (in a very good way), so it needs some tweaking of the pedals

here my keeley monterey fuzz sounds also great stoner rock, as well as the big muff, but with different tone knob settings...

so get a big muff and start from there your journey :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend the Spiral FX Black pedal.

"Out on a Limb" because it too has lots of variability in it's controls, so can get out into some splatty/glitch stuff, but there is a huge range in which it's warm, rich and tone-comes-thru tones as well.

It's up to the player to chose where to go with it.

It's made by Tom Cram, who was THE guy behind the DOD revival of the 2000's, and the designer of the new-classic Carcosa fuzz. On many forums, he went by "DigiTech Rep", and was universally known as helpful and intelligent.

From what I've read, The Black uses the basically circuit topology of the Maestro FZ-1 as a starting point (as did the Carcosa) but has a HUGE range of Gain. It also has a direct Bias control for the clipping elements, and a Detail control that can dial in/out some of the 'finer points of fuzz'.

There are 3 (THREE) clipping options : Silicon, Germanium, and the N2 Nanolog molecular junction (aka 'Quantum Tunneling' ) carbon-based device.**

To re-state, Tom's pedals are made with a WIDE range of playing in mind. With that, the upper third of the Gain area is probably not for the OP. But it is there if you ever want to explore new soundscapes... soundscapes that harken to pterodactyls, swooping, screeching and attacking between every note you play.

Some of the grittier settings can sound a bit odd in isolation, but they can REALLY help in cutting through the mix.If you've played a Muff-variant for long, you know what 'getting lost in the mix' is all about. The Black gives you the OPTION to not get lost in the mix.

BTW, Tom has also created a distortion pedal called Yellow ...

Take a look at it, as well. It can reach out to Fuzz-range, but it might actually be something a stoner-rock person could be interested in. The Girth control on the Yellow is amazing. There are 6 separate EQ settings which are detent-selectable.

One more aspect.... the enclosures look amazing.

Stunning.

Unlike anything else I can think of.

Each is the result of a custom etch/oxidation process which Tom is constantly evolving/experimenting/trying to kill himself by doing.

Bunch of demos here (link below)... 3 more on 'PAGE TWO'

https://www.spiralelectricfx.com/blo...al-demo-guitar

There are Lots of different playing styles in there, with lots of different sounds... don't stop after listening to just one clip!!

** info on the N2 device is here

https://www.nanologaudio.com/devices.html

https://www.nanologaudio.com/carbon-benefits.html

https://www.nanologaudio.com/nanolog...e-science.html

Finally, a Caveat :

I am not an employee or an endorser of Spiral FX... hell, I don't play out any more and I don't have a good recording capability.

I HAVE eTalked with Tom on some aspects of his pedals....oddly enough, not so much about the electronics as the enclosures. I'd like to think it was 'inspiration', but luckily, he knows better than to listen to the ramblings of a geographically-isolated madman and former engineer/current dentist.

I also sent him a couple items/tools that I have access to, which make the process of building things easier/safer.

In return, he built me a special one-off box. I guess this qualifies as 'receiving an item of value'... so maybe I AM a paid endorser?

I dunno. I just get a kick out of bending his ear and he was kind enough to send me something in return.

I've also bought a number of his pedals at regular price... no special treatment there.

Also, isn’t the Fuzz Factory loosely based on the Fuzz Face? I may be wrong, but I thought Zachary said that once... if so, you might want to check a FF out, since it may be somewhat similar, but without the extra features / flexibility and glitchyness potential.

• Members
Also' date=' isn’t the Fuzz Factory loosely based on the Fuzz Face? I may be wrong, but I thought Zachary said that once... if so, you might want to check a FF out, since it may be somewhat similar, but without the extra features / flexibility and glitchyness potential. [/quote']

Good point, I’ll be sure to check one out, thanks!

• Members

thxs ! when they were in the pedal drawer it was oosoom

posted it to the TGP Fuzz thread last week and none of the OCDs caught the Fruit Salad instead of the French Toast, and i'm not quite OCD enough to fix it

ps. what happened to the log in, i'm having to go to "my reviews" to bring it up

• Members
thxs ! when they were in the pedal drawer it was oosoom

posted it to the TGP Fuzz thread last week and none of the OCDs caught the Fruit Salad instead of the French Toast, and i'm not quite OCD enough to fix it

ps. what happened to the log in, i'm having to go to "my reviews" to bring it up

chicken salad

...Chi-cken Salad

CHICKEN Salad !!!

... this was a test, amiright?

....OCD = diagnosed.

I'm not sure - I'm not having that issue (is anyone else? If so, please chime in and tell me!) and I'm not sure why you are.

We'll be moving to a new platform in a short while, so the IT folks are all pretty preoccupied with that at the moment... but I'll mention your issue to them.

• Members

I'm not sure - I'm not having that issue (is anyone else? If so, please chime in and tell me!) and I'm not sure why you are.

We'll be moving to a new platform in a short while, so the IT folks are all pretty preoccupied with that at the moment... but I'll mention your issue to them.

it only happens when the board would log me out. it hasn't happened again since i clicked the remember me check box so it's only a problem for returning users to get back in

• Members
check out the DOD Carcosa

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"2OKh8sA.jpg","data-attachmentid":32543637}[/ATTACH]

i must complain, they are not wired, so they are not qualified for the BOTB 2019 :D

• Members

is that coming up again ? I'm still trying to remember how to rewire 2016s entry

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"65c4c4ddc0de55383f3b62d9d500d513.jpg","data-attachmentid":32548892}[/ATTACH]

65c4c4ddc0de55383f3b62d9d500d513.thumb.jpg.366409df875d88f7af25698402979d60.jpg

• Members
is that coming up again ? I'm still trying to remember how to rewire 2016s entry

after the BOTB is before BOTB so its always up again... but i haven't changed or added much the last couple of years i'm happy with what i have and not buying pedals anymore :)

• Members

after the BOTB is before BOTB so its always up again... but i haven't changed or added much the last couple of years i'm happy with what i have and not buying pedals anymore :)

got a lovepedal eph-3 on order, but i'll be payin off my board for another couple years. Sweetwater got me, lol

• 4 months later...

Archived