Anybody using the Maxon OD808X over regular green 808?

• Members

I've been recently reaquiring gear that I sold years ago when real life took away my hobbies. But now I've got some time and money again I've picked guitar back up. The Maxon OD808 used to be my favorite overdrive pedal. I saw the new red color X version and ordered it instead. Good idea or no? What you guys think?

• Members

A Tube screamer circuit is so simple, I cant imagine how or why anyone could screw it up. Even the Cheap Behringer version uses the same chips. I'd say, so long as you got the unit for $40 or less you paid the going rate. You paid more you got ripped off. I bought one of those Joyo JF-01 clones for $25 and it sounds the same as the Ibanez I used to own. The exception might be it has a bit more gain and brightness, likely due to the true bypass switch. Ibanez used a momentary switch in their pedals along with transistorized latches to switch it on and off. Dumping that unneeded circuitry and adding a true bypass switch is the best thing for that circuit and it seems to give the signal a little boost and presence.

Archived