Anyone using footswitch "caps" or "buttons" on their pedal switches?

Phil O'Keefe

You know, like the ones from Barefoot Buttons?

https://barefootbuttons.com/

Mooer makes something similar, except theirs are plastic and appear to just click on to the footswitch, without the allen head screws that hold the Barefoot Buttons in place.

https://reverb.com/item/10882155-moo...our-pedalboard

Please tell us about what you're using!

Regardless of where you got yours, what do you think? Any recommendations or things to be aware of?

• Members

Amazon had cards of a half dozen or so of the plastic variety for 5 bucks or so which now are mysteriously 13 bucks or so - so ahmma shine that.

One thing about those things is they might offer protection from liquid but might provide more leverage for breakage. Add clunky footwear...

• Members

EBay is swamped with them. I hate having to look for effects on their site because you'll easily have to wade through 50 pages of them being sold.

They're just aluminum knobs with a larger bore to allow the knob to fit over a foot switch.

They might make it a bit easier to switch pedals on but my main concern would be the added wear they cause on the switch shaft. Given the low quality of many footswitches these days I can easily predict accelerated wear on the shaft when the force in no longer on the buttons center. May be OK for the better Carlton switches but you're skating in thin ice if you think most of the other junk switches and their PC mount plastic housings are going to hold up. It typically only tales a few microns of wear before the switch contacts quit making contact.

My advice would be use them on cheap pedals you aren't going to bother repairing if they fail. A good 3pdt switch can cost $12 now and replacing it can be quite difficult in many pedals. You overheat the contacts and the switch melts inside and is toast. If a 50 cent button is going to give you comfort playing go for it but remember the repair cost that cold occur with excessive switch use.

• Members

They make plenty of multi effect units designed to use on a console. I own several myself.

Something like this Digitec Genesis has all the effects built in plus amp/cab modeling and can be plugged in direct for recording. Works pretty good too, even though this particular model has been discontinued I believe.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"dp7smvug405zqola120p.jpg","data-attachmentid":32475831}[/ATTACH]

Boss makes one currently being sold. Its likely got most of the stuff their floor versions have simply in a desktop model.

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for Boss GT001","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"471","width":"734","src":"https:\/\/static.roland.com\/assets\/images\/products\/gallery\/gt-001_top_gal.jpg"}[/img2]

You can find dozens of others new and used as well as all the multieffect rack units you can use too.

I have at least a dozen different types. The only drawback of a desktop is, unless it has midi access, you cant switch parameters very easily when you're playing. At least with foot pedals you can switch your sounds. When recording you have to use the same sound throughout or dub in other tracks with the sound changes you want and mix them as needed.

• 2 weeks later...
You know what would really light my gas is console style design (of the pedals naturally) for hand(s) operation.

The latest Zoom pedal (the G1X Four) that I have in for review is very hands-on friendly - with the possible exception of the expression pedal, it's as easy to use on a desktop as it is to use it as a pedal IMO.

• Members

The latest Zoom pedal (the G1X Four) that I have in for review is very hands-on friendly - with the possible exception of the expression pedal, it's as easy to use on a desktop as it is to use it as a pedal IMO.

Still a switch box. I long for stuff that'll afford real time variety like the human voice; not a simple vocoder either but rather real time tweaking of anything in your tone.

Archived