My mxr phase 90 won't work anymore

mbengs1

• Members

This is the second time this has happened. It just dies for no apparent reason. The pedal turns on but there is barely any phase effect. I'd say no sound effect comes out of the speaker. What is wrong with my pedal and how can I fix it?

• Members

Hi, Marlon!

So, LED lights up (and turns off) with the footswitch?

Phaser passes "clean" sound when it's off?

I always suspect any "electro-mechanical" moving parts: the footswitch, input and output jacks, and even the pots. Your symptoms suggest the footswitch might be the problem. True bypass footswitches are not reliable. They wear out, and they can break internally. With the pedal plugged in and powered up, try turning the pedal on and off several times, sometimes cycling them a few times seems to clean crud off the switch contacts.

If the pedal was connected to a non-compatible power source, that could 'fry' the electronics inside. Most modern pedals are protected from 'bad power' but it can still happen.

You can't trouble shoot electronics by looking at them - at a minimum you need a volt/ohm meter to do even basic troubleshooting.

The economics of electronics mean that it would probably be cheaper to replace your phaser with a clone pedal than to get it fixed.

Hi, Marlon!

So, LED lights up (and turns off) with the footswitch?

Phaser passes "clean" sound when it's off?

I always suspect any "electro-mechanical" moving parts: the footswitch, input and output jacks, and even the pots. Your symptoms suggest the footswitch might be the problem. True bypass footswitches are not reliable. They wear out, and they can break internally. With the pedal plugged in and powered up, try turning the pedal on and off several times, sometimes cycling them a few times seems to clean crud off the switch contacts.

If the pedal was connected to a non-compatible power source, that could 'fry' the electronics inside. Most modern pedals are protected from 'bad power' but it can still happen.

You can't trouble shoot electronics by looking at them - at a minimum you need a volt/ohm meter to do even basic troubleshooting.

The economics of electronics mean that it would probably be cheaper to replace your phaser with a clone pedal than to get it fixed.

Great post! :cool2:

I'm not certain about the switching though - I don't think most (any?) Phase 90's actually use true bypass switching... so make sure if you're going to try to replace the switch you get the correct replacement type.

Many of the Phase 90's (the newer ones, as opposed to vintage) use SMD construction, which is next to impossible for mere mortals to repair, so if you used the wrong power supply with it and fried electronic components on the PCB, I'd consider it dead and gone, but it's just as likely that you didn't do that, and I'm not sure if they have diode protection on the power jacks or not... like Mr.Grumpy said, it's really hard to diagnose a pedal from a distance, and/or without the right tools.

• Members
. . . You can't trouble shoot electronics by looking at them - at a minimum you need a volt/ohm meter to do even basic troubleshooting.

^ True dat. Some of you might recall that about 15 months ago I bought what turned out to be a non-functioning phase pedal on eBay. After a refund, I took it to a local shop, Pete's Pedals. The guy there told me he looks for obvious stuff but he doesn't fool with the electronics because it's just not worth it.

• Members
This is the second time this has happened. It just dies for no apparent reason. The pedal turns on but there is barely any phase effect. I'd say no sound effect comes out of the speaker. What is wrong with my pedal and how can I fix it?

Jim Dunlop took back the sound it once made and brought it with him to the other side.

Your pedal was the chosen one.

• Members

phase90's have a trimpot inside to set the sweet spot of the sweep. if this is completely off almost no sound comes out when turned on.

there i said it, i tried to help the troll again, and again he will not listen and i will not explain more...

• Members
phase90's have a trimpot inside to set the sweet spot of the sweep. if this is completely off almost no sound comes out when turned on.

there i said it, i tried to help the troll again, and again he will not listen and i will not explain more...

Think of all the innocents you blessed with that knolwedge.

I just left the pedal on for 4 hours and it came back. It sounds like new! thanks...

Good!

Now be prepared for it to start having issues again just as randomly. If “just sitting there”can cause a non-working pedal to suddenly start operating, then the same intermittent issue will sooner or later likely cause it to malfunction once again....

• Members

Yeah, that's what the problem was with the pedal I bought back in '17 but the pot wouldn't just turn itself and that would be evidence of tampering, i.e., trying to make it "sound better." I suppose it's possible there's information the OP isn't telling us though.

• Members
well..how old is that Phase 90? if it is an antique...script logo...no LED...it is repairable. The newer ones? Replace....but make sure you are plugging it in the right way first... :wave:

I bought this phase 90 in 2007. It was more 'van halen'-like that the block logo phase 90 so I thought it was the best. But it seems common now. I have 2 other phasers, a zakk wylde and a boss phase shifter. they all sound equally good.

• Members

Good!

Now be prepared for it to start having issues again just as randomly. If “just sitting there”can cause a non-working pedal to suddenly start operating, then the same intermittent issue will sooner or later likely cause it to malfunction once again....

I get ideas on how to keep pedals in their best performance. And I learned all this in the past 2 years. Since the sound of pedals change based on how you use and take care of them I figured you can bring them back by burning them or dropping them and in this case, leaving them on for a long time. :)

• Members
I get ideas on how to keep pedals in their best performance. And I learned all this in the past 2 years. Since the sound of pedals change based on how you use and take care of them I figured you can bring them back by burning them or dropping them and in this case' date=' leaving them on for a long time. :)[/quote']

Don't take this the wrong way but that sounds like snake oil. You can't "fix" electronics by "burning" or dropping them. Phil already explained: You have an intermittent electronic problem, which means it comes and goes, and that makes it the devil to diagnose. Since you have two other phase pedals, get ready to retire this one because it's only going to get worse.

I get ideas on how to keep pedals in their best performance. And I learned all this in the past 2 years. Since the sound of pedals change based on how you use and take care of them I figured you can bring them back by burning them or dropping them and in this case, leaving them on for a long time. :)

Please read the post from DeepEnd immediately above this one.

I’m not trying to be a jerk, but you are doing it wrong; learning is great, but it needs to be accurate information that you’re learning, not a bunch of blarney.

• Members

*facepalm* why was i sure before that this will end in such away......

maybe i should sell him my magic cables, which have magic tone when they work, but sometimes they do not work, and i'm to lazy to fix them, so i call them magic and act surprised if they don't work :)

• Members

Don't shoot me I just read this schitt. You guys know what to expect from Meestor Bengs. I give his stuff the bored producer once over - doesn't bother him enough to change. He even liked my funz post.

I've hung with people from the Philippines in various pool rooms in the states and I gotta say, that gAF attitude is nearly cultural. Sarcasm is big with my acquaintances. Laffs laffs.

Archived