Mooer Radar cab sim on headphones

emosms

• Members

Hello, Anybody owns that unit?

-

I am interested if it sounds good with overdriven sound on headphones.

Most of the fx processors sound ok through loudspeakers but pretty harsh on headphones.

Cleans are more or less ok, overdriven/ distorted - rather bad.

I need it for silent home practice.

Also, could you recommend other cab sim within that price range?

Mooer is very compact, has IR and could do bass guitar cab sim (I also have a bass guitar).

• Members

I bought two of the AROMA ASR-3 Shaper Cabinet Simulator for recording. I'm able to feed regular guitar pedals into them (2 for stereo) and feed a line level into an interface.

The Mooer is similar to many modeling multi effects units available today except its also got a built in dac so you can use a USB to plug it in.

Not sure If that would impress me. If I have a DAW and interface running I already have my analog to digital covered and connecting another interface to record is a pain in the ass. I have built in converters in my Digitec and M-Audio Black box which have amp/cab emulation, but both only record at 16/44.1 and I typically record at 24/48. I could record at a lower sample rate then up sample, but again why waste time. I simply record the analog out through my interface and I'm done.

The other things here are the cost for what you get. Its $125 for 30 different speaker cab models,11 mic models, 4 power amp models. I don't expect the quality of that amp emulation to be that great based on the size of the box being so small. The pedal doesn't provide any other effects either so you cant place things like echo reverb chorus in seris and have it sound like a real amp when using the USB.

Compare that to this one https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StompLab1G--vox-stomplab-ig-modeling-effects-pedal that has 103 effects, 103 amp/cab model combinations, full array of amps from all manufacturers you can combine with different cabs, compressor, EQ, stereo reverb, chorus, echo, everything from rotary, phaser ping pong effects, octave, fuzz/distortion pedals and an excellent noise gate to silence the sound when you stop playing. I use one all the time recording and in two years I haven't recorded the same sound twice.

Quite amazing unit given its compact size but Korg who owns Vox knows their stuff when it comes to electronics. I'd rather pay $69 for the Vox and another $50 for an interface if I don't have one. It would still be less then the Moore and I's be able to plug a Mic, bass or any other instrument into the interface and record. The Moore would only be good for recording guitar which I suppose if fine if amp emulation is all you want. You can add the other effects using plugins or use some others pedals before that unit.

I'm just not overly impressed with the pint sized effects pedals coming out of China. I have a few and some like that cab simulator only isn't bad for $25 when I bought it. I have another that does the Dumble amp well. Another that has multiple modulation, chorus, phase flange isn't so hot. I'm sure there are others that are fairly decent but definitely not going to pay $125 for one of them. Moore has developed a name by overpricing their units but as far as I can see they are identical to most of the others coming out of China. The release of one followed by the others makes it far too suspicious they may be coming from different manufacturers. Its like the JOYO stuff. They saturated the market, then when sales drop off they label them Ammoon or Donner or Cuvave or a dozen other names they are currently using.

Its what you call the old bait and switch game. Companies like Teisco used it for decades. They made slight variations, gave the instruments a new name and sold it to another chain store or mail order catalog. You can open up many of the pedals and other then a small mod or two they are essentially identical.

• Members

If it is about multi FX, what about Zoom G1 On?

Same price.

Cab sim without IR.

I have had older zoom's, and they (alongside with the vox stomplab IG demo) sound similar.

Of all drives and stuff, I cannot find a single one which does not sound muddy on the low strings.

Cab/amp/whatever sim sounds ok through speaker, but harsh on headphones.

But, Zoom G1 (also MS-50 G) has one nice feature - you can put FX in chain the order you like.

I hope that parametriq EQ before drive can fix the muddy low strings.

As about the cab sim of zoom 1 on headphones....

How does the stompbox sound on headphones?

Low gain stuff with breackup, brown tones?

• Members

Zoom makes some really good stuff too. Their drum machines are incredible sounding. I had been looking on ebay at the G1 On. Almost pulled the trigger on the ones I found being sold used for $50. I was outbid by $1 last time.

The G1 has a built in drum machine too which is great for writing purposes or recording. Not sure is they are as good as their stand alone drum machines but anything close and you'll be fine. I have two other pedal types with built in drums. The M-Audio Black box is the coolest. The effects like echo tremolo, rotary etc are timed to the drum beats so you don't have the effect timing wandering all over the place compared to the beat. You can for example select 1, 2, 3, 4, echoes per beat and no matter when you hit the strings it will be locked to the drum machine.

Its got some really complex patterns for the effects too. If you select a Latin beat for example the effect pulses complement the beat as if you were strumming chords that way. Of course you can do that using DAW plugins too if you use a click track to play and lock the effect to the click tempo.

I'm not big on getting overly technical when I record. I save that energy for the music itself. When the effects begin to take over and rob me of the opportunity of being creative that's my limit. Simple tempo linking is great however.

I have a Lexicon multieffect I bought with amp/cab emulation. I'm still getting to know that one. Its a bit older so the amp sounds are a bit more old school but still good enough for recording. The pitch bender works exceptionally well. The Digitec RP150 is very good. I didn't appreciate it as much when I first got it but once I refined its settings and built my own patches its been a great box for lead or rhythm guitar. Very different from the Vox unit. Cleaner and more transparent. Its got a built in interface too so I can record guitar and drums at the same time on different tracks just like I can with the M-Audio.

I have several Sans amp type units for recording direct too. The oldest being my Morley JD-1. Those are discontinued and are still in high demand.

Joyo makes some Tech 21 amp pedal closed too. They are preamp units designed to emulate Vox, Fender, Marshall, or Mesa Boogie amps. By themselves solo they are a bit to dry and claustrophobic. They do a fine job when combined with additional time based effects like chorus, reverb echo and that cabinet Emulator pedal I mentioned.

I should also note I been using rack preamps for direct recording since the mid 80's I've collected a half dozen of them over the years and they can do some really cool stuff too. I have them made by Digitec, Art, Yamaha, Marshall, Boss, Rocktec and a few others you probably never heard of.

A few of them even have stereo effects loops built in so I can connect Stereo Rack reverbs and echo units to get really big sounding amp tones.

Like anything, you use it enough you tend to get bored using the same old sounds and want to try something else. Some of those rack units like that Art SGX was well over a grand back in the 90's. Today you can match it using a $69 pedal. Absolutely amazing. Musicians truly don't appreciate all the good gear available to them. They didn't have to suffer using allot of cheap junk that wasn't so cheap to purchase back in the day.

• Members

I'm just not overly impressed with the pint sized effects pedals coming out of China. I have a few and some like that cab simulator only isn't bad for $25 when I bought it. I have another that does the Dumble amp well. Another that has multiple modulation, chorus, phase flange isn't so hot. I'm sure there are others that are fairly decent but definitely not going to pay $125 for one of them. Moore has developed a name by overpricing their units but as far as I can see they are identical to most of the others coming out of China. The release of one followed by the others makes it far too suspicious they may be coming from different manufacturers. Its like the JOYO stuff. They saturated the market, then when sales drop off they label them Ammoon or Donner or Cuvave or a dozen other names they are currently using.

Its what you call the old bait and switch game. Companies like Teisco used it for decades. They made slight variations, gave the instruments a new name and sold it to another chain store or mail order catalog. You can open up many of the pedals and other then a small mod or two they are essentially identical.

I came across one post from an old thread on some forum I can't recall where the guy says most of the stuff is rebranded Mooers and all the internals are sourced from Behringer. (Interesting side note, the Behringer source says the only reason Behringer uses plastic boxes is the sheer volume of units they have to ship around the world.)

The circuits themselves though are "legitimate" forgeries with concessions only to internal ruggedness and whatever audio results those beget. FI, there's a Fulldive II Mosfet clone that I doubt can handle even 12v let alone the full 18. Youtube shows that most of the drives and distos demonstrated seem to have the same clippers with variations only in peripheral circuitry. This started out to be a concern but many revealed themselves to have surprisingly detailed timbral dynamics along with the sub 50 dollar price tag; good enough for me.

Archived