Braided Cables Knot Up

guitapick

• Members

You may have dog genes. Check Ancestry dot com.

I use a 20 footer at home just so I can stay clear of the amp. Between that and tweaking sounds. guess what? If I remember, I walk to the amp and then don't make a full turn coming back. Reverse move IOW. Somebody here suggested wireless.

• Members
I've got some DiMarzio braided cables. I like them but they knot up when I move around. Does anyone have a fix on that one or is it just the nature of the beast?

Must be something unique to that brand. Maybe you have a tendency to walk in circles and turn it into a cork screw?

I wouldn't buy a cloth cable normally. Cant keep them clean. You can wipe down a rubber coated. Cloth looks like crap after being dragged around on a dirty floor which is actually unhealthy. I bought a cloth covered, no name Mono Price version a couple of years ago for practically nothing. You couldn't kink it up if you tried. The rubber under the cloth is stiff enough to prevent any kinks. In fact it stays a bit too stiff/straight for my liking.

I don't gig with it, I just use it for recording. I'm not that picky when it comes to cables. They simply need to have good connectors and good cable so there's no hum and the connectors don't go bad.

• Members
You may have dog genes. Check Ancestry dot com.

I use a 20 footer at home just so I can stay clear of the amp. Between that and tweaking sounds. guess what? If I remember, I walk to the amp and then don't make a full turn coming back. Reverse move IOW. Somebody here suggested wireless.

Thanks. I've do tend to make a full turn and that's where the trouble begins. I'll work on it.

I bought the cables on the rec of one of my techs. He said they give the best bang for the buck.

• Members
I always have to take a momemt to 'unwind' my cables. . . .

^ This. It's just the nature of cables and musicians. I take a few minutes about once a month to unkink our praise band bassist's cable. If I didn't it would probably get to the point that it wouldn't reach from bass to amp. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I've got some DiMarzio braided cables. I like them but they knot up when I move around. Does anyone have a fix on that one or is it just the nature of the beast?

I got a Fender braided cable on SDotD from MF a couple years back and I've experienced that same thing. It just tends to kink up mostly when just trying to wind it for use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Other than the way they look' date=' is there any advantage to braided cables? If they kink up more than regular cables, why bother with them?[/quote']

I'm not sure it's a braided cables thing. In my experience it's simply the nature of cables that they kink up.

I'm not sure it's a braided cables thing. In my experience it's simply the nature of cables that they kink up.

I have literally hundreds of cables, and a ton of experience wrapping them up. Kinking is almost never an issue for me - the trick is how you wrap them, how you tie / secure them, and how consistent you are about taking care of them. I’m fastidious about all of the above - and if I find a cable that is too stiff or that kinks, I get rid of it.

I’m not down with some of the ridiculous cable hype that’s out there ($1k for an IEC power cable???), but IMO life’s too short and their purpose is too important to mess around with junk or substandard cables.

• Members
I have literally hundreds of cables' date=' and a ton of experience wrapping them up. Kinking is almost never an issue for me - the trick is how you wrap them, how you tie / secure them, and how consistent you are about taking care of them. . . .[/quote']

If you handle them carefully when putting them away, no. But in normal use I haven't seen a cable that didn't end up knotted up eventually.

If you handle them carefully when putting them away, no. But in normal use I haven't seen a cable that didn't end up knotted up eventually.

I've got some regular mic and 1/4" cables that have been in regular use for a couple of decades now that are still fine. I do my own maintenance on them as needed, and they're being used in a studio environment and not live, but they're still going strong. No knots, no kinks. :)

I've also got some multi-pin tube mic cables that have been around for literally as long as I have, and they're still working fine as well. Good thing too - those puppies are rather expensive, especially for replacements with similar length and high-grade wire.

Archived