No dinosaur, but it does look like a monster - the new EHX Mod Rex Polyrhythmic Modulator

Phil O'Keefe

Okay' date=' Electro-Harmonix, you really, really, have my attention now. WTF!!!!?[/quote']

You've just gotta love those folks... not only do they release things from their illustrious past (like the Triangle Muff RI that just came out), but they don't exclusively live in the past - they also release groundbreaking new products too... They just keep knocking it out of the ballpark.

• Members

You've just gotta love those folks... not only do they release things from their illustrious past (like the Triangle Muff RI that just came out), but they don't exclusively live in the past - they also release groundbreaking new products too... They just keep knocking it out of the ballpark.

Agreed, this really is something different than other effect pedal offerings, at as far as I am aware of. There are other advanced modulators like the Strymon Mobius, but completely different from what I can tell. I will be among the first in line for this.

And I'm really stoked that they've allowed it to sync with a pulse clock as well as midi clock. I don't feel like modular synthesis is going away any time soon, and actually it's been around a really long time. It's too darn addictive.

Holy cow. I would need an engineering degree to run this thing. Too much for me.

Okay, I ARE an engineer ( :lol: ), and I admit that the audio engineer side of me LOVES the potential of this thing, but I think you might be underestimating your own abilities, and possibly overestimating the complexity of the unit itself. The wide array of knobs on a mixing console seem intimidating to the uninitiated until you explain that there's a lot of duplication going on, and the board is broken down into multiple channels, with each handling one input source. Learn one, and you have a good start on understanding the entire board...

I think the Mod Rex is kind of similar in a way. Break it down into individual effects, and it's probably less complex (and intimidating) than it might at first appear. At least that's my theory - I'll be able to tell you more if I get a chance to review one - and yes, I've already put in a request with the good folks at EHX...

And I'm really stoked that they've allowed it to sync with a pulse clock as well as midi clock. I don't feel like modular synthesis is going away any time soon, and actually it's been around a really long time. It's too darn addictive.

The inclusion of MIDI clock / pulse sync for this was a very smart move on EHX's part - not only for the modular synth / Eurorack crowd, but also for DAW sync and recording purposes. I can see this pedal becoming at least as popular for synth and studio folks as it will be for guitarists.

I wonder what the I/O impedances are, and if it will be able to handle line level I/O in addition to instrument level or not? I'll have to look into that...

Archived