where can i buy adapter tips ?

mbengs1

• Members
  • Members

The tips you posted plug into the end of a wall wart cord and can be flipped 180 degrees to reverse the polarity.

The wall warts that use these type of adaptors have a voltage switch and tend to be one of the poorest choices for any kind of audio gear. They typically produce the wrong current levels needed for most pedals and its regulation is compromised due to the multi voltage settings so you'll likely find it makes most pedals hum badly. What you want are "Zero Hum" adaptors designed for audio gear.

If you need new solder on tips they are pretty easy to find. I have at least a dozen sites where I can buy them but you need to be real specific when purchasing them.

My one worry here is you may be trying to adapt one pedal's plug to fit some generic adaptor. Manufacturers use different tips based on the type of wall wart it is and the current levels it provides. Adaptors that have the wrong voltages and most importantly the proper current levels prevent you from damaging a device by making the tips unique.

Guitar pedals for example typically have a current level of between 200 to 300ma with a negative center tip and have regulation which eliminates all hum. A 700ma or 1000ma unit will have a different adaptor so you don't accidentally plug it into a guitar pedal and blow it up.

I can find you any one of those adaptors you listed but I need more details on what you're wanting to do so I can point you in the right direction. If you have one of those universal adaptors and have lost the plugs, then the cheapest route to getting a new set is to simply pay $10 and buy another universal adaptor that has the multiple plugs.

If on the other hand, you're looking to buy a plug you can solder on, I can find them individually, I'd just need to know which one you need. if you are wanting to use it for a guitar pedal, I'd advise you stay away from those universal adaptors. They are bad news for guitar pedals and when you add up the cost or the jack and shipping you can spend a few dollars more and buy the entire adaptor that's ideal for the pedals, so long as it isn't something unique.

Parts Express is one of those sites you can buy many of the common voltage jacks. https://www.parts-express.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=G+-+Brand+-+Main&utm_group=G-Brand-Main-Exact

Mouser would be the site to find the oddball stuff. If they haven't got it, nobody does. https://www.mouser.com/

I would caution against using a "universal adapter" to power your guitar pedals.

If you're looking for Boss-style plugs for pedals, what you want to search for is:

5.5 mm x 2.1 mm plug

That's the correct size. Make sure you wire those plugs appropriately - most pedals use center-negative wiring, but that's NOT universal, so make sure you check each individual pedal's requirements before wiring and soldering up a power cable for it. I'd also suggest using some red heat shrink tubing to "mark" the ones that use non-standard wiring.

As far as finding those plugs, they're out there - not only do guitar pedals use them, they are also commonly used for surveillance system video cameras too. Google is your friend! :idea::wave:

• Members
I need to know what your application is so I direct you to the right parts. You can fry your **************** by using something that looks right but changes it 180 degrees.

If the plug is wired correctly for the application (i.e., center negative/center positive) and fits the socket, it's the right plug. The "wrong plug" won't "change it 180 degrees," only incorrect installation will do that.

Archived