Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Volume/Tone pedal show & tell & question

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fender Volume/Tone pedal show & tell & question

    I recently got this. It's a loan for now, but it may be too cool to give back. It's an old and abused Fender volume/tone control. As you can see below, it rocks to control the volume and the top plate rotates to control tone. I could see rewiring it to become dual-parameter control for a synth or other processor that takes TRS expression input but for the moment, I'll use it as it. But it's pretty ancient and the pots need cleaning or replacing. Is this likely to become a monster PITA?

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2037.jpg Views:	1 Size:	180.0 KB ID:	32245835

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2036.jpg Views:	1 Size:	164.1 KB ID:	32245836
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2034.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.8 KB ID:	32245837

    Last edited by pogo97; 06-03-2018, 08:05 PM.
    There is more than one way to do this. Notes Norton

  • #2
    Is this likely to become a monster PITA?
    To replace the pots and put the cords back? Depends on your skill & comfort level with soldering and electro-mechanical stuff in general. For someone who's worked on pedals or amps, it shouldn't be too hard. Probably need some tools some people don't have, like an allen (hex) wrench to take the pulleys off of the pot shafts.

    This space left intentionally blank.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
      To replace the pots and put the cords back? Depends on your skill & comfort level with soldering and electro-mechanical stuff in general. For someone who's worked on pedals or amps, it shouldn't be too hard. Probably need some tools some people don't have, like an allen (hex) wrench to take the pulleys off of the pot shafts.
      Well, my experience is that nothing is as easy as it looks to be. I can solder just fine -- took electronics for four years in high school -- and have the tools (the set screws for the pulleys are slot head, though I have allen keys). I'm hoping that a good cleaning will do the trick, but I'll have to get some deoxit first. And if that's not effective, then I'll need to find and order the appropriate pots, which may or may not be easy. This unit is probably fifty years old.
      There is more than one way to do this. Notes Norton

      Comment


      • #4
        The pots tend to be a heavy duty design. I'd suggest you measure the pot with the pedal unplugged and see what the pot value is, then see if you can find a replacement.

        Cleaning may give you back temporary operation but its not going to restore wear on the carbon pad. Typically when a pedals pot goes out, you're wasting your money buying cleaner. I'd just but the new pot and replace it. A new pot will be cheaper then a can of Deoxit so why bother with trying to salvage the old pot. Just replace the thing.

        You'll likely need a solid shaft 250 or 500K pot. Check the markings on the existing pot. You may be able to save some time getting a duplicate.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pogo97 View Post

          I'm hoping that a good cleaning will do the trick, but I'll have to get some deoxit first. And if that's not effective, then I'll need to find and order the appropriate pots, which may or may not be easy. This unit is probably fifty years old.
          They're "sealed" pots, very similar to the pots in CryBaby wah pedals. Not sure how much good DeOxiD will do, maybe pry the metal tabs back to get at the guts?

          Dunlop sells 'sealed' "Hot Potz" in a 470 k Ohm version for use in passive volume pedals. Not sure if the shaft is compatible with those Fender pot pulleys.

          This space left intentionally blank.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pogo97 View Post

            Well, my experience is that nothing is as easy as it looks to be. I can solder just fine -- took electronics for four years in high school -- and have the tools (the set screws for the pulleys are slot head, though I have allen keys). I'm hoping that a good cleaning will do the trick, but I'll have to get some deoxit first. And if that's not effective, then I'll need to find and order the appropriate pots, which may or may not be easy. This unit is probably fifty years old.
            Yes, but Fender reissued them a few years back, so getting parts shouldn't pose an insurmountable hurdle for you.

            I've long thought that converting one into a dual expression pedal would be a good idea, but I've never gotten around to trying to do it myself. If you do go that route, you'd probably want to change the value of the stock pots anyway, so you might want to think about that before you try a restoration job on it...



            **********

            "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

            "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

            "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

            Comment


            • #7
              Decided that my time would be better spent practising and my money better spent settling debts. Gave it back to my friend. He knows someone else who is interested. Learned some useful stuff in the meantime. Thanks for the input.

              Interesting pages on volume pedals here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=190077

              and here: http://www.mk-guitar.com/2008/09/10/...ow-i-use-mine/
              There is more than one way to do this. Notes Norton

              Comment


              • #8
                zoom used the swivel expression on their unit g9.2tt unit a few years back

                this guy makes a very very nice dual expression unit

                http://dbinstrumentamp.com/products/...ression-pedal/

                the thing about these sorts of things is that the mechanical (the feel, durability, useful range...all tht stuff) really is the, exucse the pun,pivotal stuff

                conceptually, it's not a big deal but making a robust usable one it non-trivial

                Comment


                • #9
                  That pedal sort of reminds me of a pedal I have. This Maestro Parametric EQ/Drive pedal turns on when you step on it, then the center knob swivels to select the different effects. Then the two side knobs can be manipulated to adjust the EQ frequency or cut/boost. Works quite well using your foot. I could even get a wah tone when its set for a narrow boost and I scroll through the frequencies.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	plnq1aalccpu8bdqdsi1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	32292358

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pogo97 View Post
                    I recently got this. It's a loan for now, but it may be too cool to give back. It's an old and abused Fender volume/tone control. As you can see below, it rocks to control the volume and the top plate rotates to control tone. I could see rewiring it to become dual-parameter control for a synth or other processor that takes TRS expression input but for the moment, I'll use it as it. But it's pretty ancient and the pots need cleaning or replacing. Is this likely to become a monster PITA?

                    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2037.jpg Views:	1 Size:	180.0 KB ID:	32245835

                    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2036.jpg Views:	1 Size:	164.1 KB ID:	32245836
                    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2034.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.8 KB ID:	32245837
                    Probably. But if you have the time and desire go for it.
                    _____________________________________
                    Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

                    Join Date: Aug 2001
                    Location: N. Adams, MA USA
                    Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X