Loop setup

mensageiro

• Members

Hi everyone.

I'm not a very experienced musician (if I can call myself a musician, that is). I have a couple of guitars (1 electric, 1 electroacoustic) and a very small amp (Fender Acoustasonic 15, which has an XLR connection for mic and your traditional 1/4'' jack for guitar) and that's been my setup so far.

Watching YouTube videos of people looping I decided to get a simple loop pedal (Boss RC-3), which allowed me to loop the guitar.

Then I thought it'd be fun to also loop voice, so I bought a mic (Shure SM-58) and a Mixer (Allen & Heath ZED-6FX).

Only problem is, I don't know how to set it up.

So, how do I loop with that gear: electric or electroacoustic guitar, vocal mic, loop pedal, mixer and amp?

Thanks in advance

• Members

You'll need a little mixer. I use a Behringer 502 which gives me xlr and guitar jacks. The output is hotter than coming from your pedals so you'll have to turn the amp down, but otherwise I've had no issues.

Here's my looper rig:

[video=youtube_share;qCyBFAz6wlQ]

Here's how I'd try to do it...

Connect the Shure mic to the A&H mixer input channel 1 with an XLR female to XLR male ("mic") cable.

Connect the XLR main output of the A&H to the aux input on the Boss looper.

(Unfortunately, you're going to need to go from XLR to 1/8" to do that - you'll need an adapter).

Connect the guitar to the main in on the Boss looper.

Connect the output of the Boss to your amp.

The challenge is going to be in connecting the A&H board (which has no 1/4" or 1/8" outputs) to the Boss. Again, you're going to need an XLR female to 1/8" male adapter, or an XLR female to 1/4" male cable and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter) to do that.

Edit: This cable should work: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...h-cable-1-foot

Once you have it all connected, you will need to adjust the settings on the mixer to get the mic and output levels correct, but I can help walk you through that too if you're not sure how to do it.

• Members

The mixer output is line level which is "too hot" for feeding either channel of that guitar amp.

The XLR input is mic level and that's where the mic should be plugged in. The looper is designed for instrument level and should only see the guitar.

The mixer is not what you needed for an amp like this. Mixers drive power amps and your amp doesn't have an effects send where you can access its power amp.

What you should get is a vocal effects processor that runs off an XLR connection. TC Helicon and others make excellent units. Most are packed with all kinds of popular vocal effects so you'll need to see if one has a looper.

• Members

Your mixer has a 1/4" "FX Out" jack (to the right of the inputs). You can try running a cable from that to the looper pedal and from there to the 1/4" jack on your amp. If that doesn't work you'll need an XLR to 1/4" adapter at minimum. If you're going to run your voice and a guitar through the same amp the Acoustasonic will work for noodling at home. It won't be an ideal setup but it should give you an idea. Let us know how things work for you and maybe post a vid or recording once you get up to speed.

Archived