overdrive pedal for marshall jcm 900

mbengs1

• Members
I don't have a jcm 900 but I want to get one of those. I heard it does not work well with high gain distortion pedals' date=' why is this the case?[/quote']

You're going to hear a lot of people tell you a lot of things on the internet. Your best choice is to use your own ears, listen to some YouTube video/sample clips.

Also, I wouldn't try and build your rig around gear you want to have (the jcm 900), I did that for a long time and it never worked out.

• Members

You're going to hear a lot of people tell you a lot of things on the internet. Your best choice is to use your own ears, listen to some YouTube video/sample clips.

Also, I wouldn't try and build your rig around gear you want to have (the jcm 900), I did that for a long time and it never worked out.

how would you recommend building your rig? I usually pick the cheapest ones that are easy to get a hold of that are popular. hehehe. bad moves maybe... but I wonder if it will work out well anyway. maybe? I think I need to know more about the different pedal brands because I only really am familiar with mxr and boss. any boutique brands I know nothing about because they're not sold here. I can only buy they on sweetwater, my preferred vendor. so I gotta choose my pedals well.

• Members

I don't have a jcm 900 but I want to get one of those. I heard it does not work well with high gain distortion pedals' date=' why is this the case?[/quote']

At 3:10 or so the guy explains that the 900 uses clipping diodes for distortion. This means a front end distortion which may even be using clipping diodes might not sound good.

[video=youtube;NYL52i5PpzM]

• Members

If you run most amps clean the pedal choice will dictate how the drive sounds. If you use the gain channel of an amp then you have to find pedals witch complement the amps drive.

I use a Marshall Valvestate head. Its got a preamp tube used for gain staging. The clean channel sounds like a Plexi run clean and the crunch and drive channels sound identical to many drive pedals, especially a Governor. I Typically run dual amps, a Fender and the Marshall and I can match the Fenders drive to the Marshall using a governor pedal.

I used to us just the drive channels on the Marshall which were actually very good. I'd use just a compressor and chorus pedal before it and put an echo in the effects loop. Having echo and reverb after drive always sounds better because there is less string beating.

Somewhere along the way I started using the amps gain channels less and using drive pedals more. I eventually just left the amp set on the clean channel and got all my drive from pedals. I guess I got board of the Marshall drive tones and gravitated to having more variety. I can get the same drive sounds because I own several Marshall pedals now plus many others.

One of my favorites is Tube Screamer into a High Gain Marshall pedal or the amp's high gain channel. The combination works very well together because the TS has a good mid boost that works to give the Marshall more of a British Vox sound so you have a wider range of tones to work with. I have others that work well too. I picked up a very inexpensive Dumbler pedal I been using allot and it adds another new dimension to the sound.

I have other modeling pedals including one that can give the amp a convincing Fender Bassman sound which I really like too. When running two amps I can make a Fender sound like a Marshall and a Marshall sound like a Fender if I choose.

• Members

The Boss blues Driver BD-2 works great with the drive channal of the Marshall 900 , i set the marshall like thus . clean channal / drive channal as crunch and then i will switch on the blues drive to take the drive channal over the top, i would use the blues drive set -level 6 ,tone 1,gain 1,(with the settings on the Marshall in the picture, the tape colored red is the drive channal)so it was used to just push further what dirt i was already getting . i used the blues drive on the clean channal sometimes but it never worked right cause i had that channal set too clean for my blues driver settings. overall i love the sound of this combination of marshall 900 and blues driver ,it is suprisingly a very versatile sounding set up including the clean channal which to me is the best sounding clean channnal i`ve ever played through.the amp is set on 100 watts

https://imgur.com/a/nuLMm

• Members

^^^ My buddy had one of those pedals and he got a similar sound of recordings kind of a half clean and half grit.

I like something with a little tighter grain myself. I have a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal that's a fairly close match to the Boss except a bit brighter.

I used it at a gig last summer and my buddy guitarist who was listening in the audience told me the level took a dive when I used that one. Kind of strange because on stage it was fine. I cranked it up for a boost on the next song and he gave me a thumbs up for the level. Guess that one simply fools you close to the amp.

Like I said I typically prefer a Tube screamer to get more mids and a governor for over the top stuff. I like being able to get a little ZZ Top type Pinch harmonics form the pick when I dig in during leads.

I did this one through my small Marshall miced up with a ribbon mic running the amp cleaner and using a Vox Stomplab pedal for the lead. https://soundcloud.com/wrgkmc/00001-...streets-master

I'm not sure exactly what amp/cab drive settings I was using on the pedal, it might have been a Bassman, Deluxe or Vox tone added to the Marshall to give it a lower mid voicing. I added additional effects mixing to make it sound bigger too.

I like the tightness and sustain of a Marshall but I get bored with the bright upper mids so I'll use various pedals to change the tone for more variety. The second guitar is followed by the bass was recorded with just compression into the amp and EQed to bring out the clean tones of those Mini Humbuckers.

Archived