Acoustic EQ pedal for electric guitar

CascadeDiver

• Members

I'm in the market for an EQ pedal. I have come across some that seem right up my alley however they are marketed towards acoustic instruments and I play more hard rock electric guitar.

What are your thoughts on using acoustic EQ pedals for electric guitar? Would I be better off using a pedal specifically designed for my application?

A couple pedals I found that are of interest to be are:

Tonebone pz deluxe

Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp

• Members

I'd go with an EQ pedal made for electric guitar use. Those acoustic guitar preamps/EQ devices have special EQ bands that are particularly useful for amplifying acoustics. They're often made to use with an acoustic piezo pickup instead of an electric guitar's standard magnetic pickup.

They're now out of production, but a Danelectro Fish'n'Chips EQ pedal is well regarded and available for cheap on the used market. There are units from Boss and MXR available new, and I'm sure there's cheaper options from Joyo/Mooer/ect but you may have to shop around or buy online.

• Members

The problem I see is that those are not just EQ's but preamps. Your electric guitar doesn't need a preamp, especially one tailored for an acoustic guitar. Other than that, an EQ is an EQ. As Mr.Grumpy pointed out, you can get something like a Donner EQ pedal for $25 shipped on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Donner-Equalizer-Pedal-5-band-Graphic-EQ-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-US-Seller/391944081249?hash=item5b41b00f61:g:Qg4AAOSwbihaL3Yo

Archived