How can you say no....?

badpenguin

• Members

Well it came in. Picked it up for the stupid total of $7.55. remember it was on closeout, so they were dumping them.

Impressions? Does what it is supposed to do. Minimum volume, does nothing, so it doesn't lower the volume when you stomp on it. Bass and treble controls work nicely, bringing out that "Ric Jangle" to even the buckerist of pickups, Bass adds some depth. Only real complaint, are the shiny metal toped knobs. From a foot away, you can't see what you set it at. A simple sharpie fixed that.. It will either stay on the board, or be gifted. Haven't decided yet.

• Members

Glad to hear you're liking it. I hear you about the knobs. My Schecter electric has plain P-Bass style knobs and I have trouble seeing where I have them set. I solved the problem by turning them so I can see the position of the set screws but I wish they had numbers, pointers or something.

• Members

Had mine come in yesterday too. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

its built nice and solid. Even came with a battery which would cost a couple of bucks.

My main reasons for getting it was to try it on several different items. First I have a Peavey amp running a 10" instead of a 12" speaker that lacks bottom end. It might fix the problem when run in its effects loop. I run the Peavey with a 15 Marshall and I can use it to equalize the two amps.

In the studio I run a pair of amps too. It might find a place balancing those two amps as well.

I may try it out recording bass and see what results I get. I run a pair of bass heads to run cabs. it might do the job balancing/EQing the signals between those heads as well. Third if its really clean sounding it might do a decent job as a simple mic booster.

I may try it on one of my ribbon mics or on a head worn dynamic mic I been using. I have a Rolls preamp strip with a built in EQ and have been running scooped mids for that mic and that pedal might actually be ideal for doing that. Even if I have to customize its tone stack, having a simple box to shape its response might be ideal.

I can think of another half dozen other possible uses for it too. The least likely is for guitar. I'm not a big fan of boosters. I do have a couple of others like my Marshall Blues Breaker which as a switchable clean boost. My Morley JD1 will do that too.

• Members

Tried it out and found it to be much better then I expected.

The specs appear to be honest to my ears.

• Signal to Noise Ratio -90dB
  • Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.001 percent

The pedal seems to have a 1:1 loudness with everything set to 12 O'clock and will boost or cut. I'd gestimate you can get a 10db boost cranking only the volume up. Maybe 20dB more craning the EQ's full up. The pots are excellent and the tapers ideal. You might hear a tiny bit of hiss before a high gain pedal but it would be negligible.

This pedal may be enough to drive an acoustic guitar's Piezo element directly. It can also boost the highs and lows of an electric and make it sound more acoustic like. Might be ideal for fattening up a drive pedals tone. It made my little 15W Marshall sound fat and lush like a Fender amp. I can see many uses for it. I'll try it recording this weekend and see what it can do feed into a full frequency audio setup.

Archived