joe bonamassa rants about pedalheads

t_e_l_e

• Members

http://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-bonamassa-using-pedals-that-make-you-sound-like-everything-but-your-guitar-is-fking-lazy

i guess it is a bit out of context and i can't ask him what he really means, maybe he might have some point

but the statement printed on the website on it self alone lets me just think f**k o** white rich kid wannabe bluesman

• Members

I can imagine that if I could afford vintage and/or boutique amps and stuff like real Echoplexes, I'd be a 'no-pedal' snob too.

...These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the **************** outta here! It’s bull****************. There’s so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play?
He has a point, you know. lol.gif

• Members

He has a point, you know. lol.gif

if he means the tone snobs who buying one boutique overdrive after the another for the holy quest of perfect tone and the klon is the root of their religion, who never ever play more than five notes a day, i might agree

if he also means creative artists, who incorperate pedals in their way of creating music like the edge, or radiohead, or muse, or mogwai or other not so famous people who do great things with them, he should shut the f**k up and p*** off

• Members

When you grew up in the music store your dad owned and you had access every type of vintage amp out there, you have played just about every natural overdrive out there. He has access to all of it. Not everyone does. Plus he also forgets that most people don't play at stage volumes and will never be able to get amp overdrive without pedals.

• Members

I think he's good at what he does. I'm not saying he sux or anything.

The only real criticism I have with him is that he's a marketing creation. Sunglasses, suit, tie, shiny shoes. His management had to create something for the ladies to look at. Of course that and a departure from the EJ shredding he used to do, combined with a more broadly appealing musical genre was part of the packaging.

I have no problems with players who prefer to go guitar -> cable -> amp.

I don't have a problem with players who use effects creatively either.

Either way, as long as you're doing something musical and interesting, that's all that really matters IMHO. There are plenty of poseurs in both camps.

• Members

To me it's a matter of "product transparency". IOW I don't care if Taylor Swift is fake cheese, the product claims nothing else and it's quite delicious.

Joe Heavyname on the OTOH is of that guitar sales hero variety most of which amount to little more than a nemesis to legitimate teachers and players. Same filter I have on guys like Neo Peart etc...

Archived