Identifying a Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby

Precland

• Members

Hi all,

I've been reading a few threads on various forums about this but have never found a definite answer. Are there any experts out there who could help me put an age to my crybaby pedal? I've replaced it with the mini wah and want to sell it.

I think it's early 80's but can't be sure. The serial number on the baseplate is CB531081 and there is another number inside the pedal which is 021-005078-01, I can't date it from the pot though as that's been replaced with a hot potz II.

I've attached some photos if that's any clearer, please let me know if you can help.

Thanks

Chris

3835517664ffe8be20e3f0e4a97dcdf3.jpg.fa1598d6317da350cea0fa4d94887b55.jpg

f0a6ef9de22bc3c186de3ef1251a8bcf.jpg.efdd963624342b9ec9f3f58ac8f466b5.jpg

20736805e9773f15644db0b05af7eede.jpg.885939ffb467d1df4f0023a7eb4737fb.jpg

• Moderators

From the basic appearance, the metal jacks, the 1/8" DC power supply jack, the PCB has the connector on it, I'm leaning toward 1987-1988, but I can't tell if the pot gear is pinned or glued...glued would've been '89 or later.

I would suggest you go to Dunlop and ask about the s/n.

• Members

I can't date it for sure but it looks like an 80s version I own. Unless you have a really early wah with a fasel inductor and/or the striped "tropical fish" capacitors, they're not really collectible, so the exact year isn't important. Yours is the very common, "classic" circuit with two transistors - later versions have a third transistor to act as an input buffer to reduce the"tone suck" these pedals are known for. Sale value used is about $60 - $40.

Thanks for that daddymack, I will contact Dunlop and see if they get back to me. The attached pictures don't provide any more help do they?

There's not really enough detail there to be certain. Can you see a "Rev" version printed on the PCB anywhere? That would help narrow it down.

Regardless, I don't think the actual "year" makes a big difference in the value / worth of a GCB-95 Crybaby... does it? :idk:

• Moderators

The year matters but only if, as mentioned above by Mr. G, they have the original Fasel, and/or the striped caps...this doesn't, it is just a run-of-the-mill Cry Baby. Dunlop made a CryBaby CB95F, with Fasels, as a special resissue a while back...

One of my few gear regrets was selling my Thomas-era [late 60s] CB, Echo Plex, FoxxFuzz [red flocked] along with my 'script' Phase 90 and some other 'toys' back in the late 70s when I hung up my guitars, sold my Marshall half stack too......who knew I would want all them back less than 10 years later...:cry: I also had a 'reversed' ColorSound wah for a while...wish I'd held on to that too...

Thankfully I held on to some good stuff too...

I recently picked up a newer CB in great shape for $45. Funny, the first thing I noticed was that the 'throw' felt longer than on the Thomas version...not a bad thing either.

Archived