New Radiohead Album

• Members

5 years ago, this place would have been exploding with haters and fanboiz...

First impressions of two songs released before the full album tomorrow (11am PDT)-

Burn the Witch- I confess the first ten seconds had me fretting "Coldplay?", but by a minute and a half in I got it and was able to see what they were going for (I did the same thing with Tool's The Pot and 'is he going for Adam Levine?!?'). I dig it, and the wickeman video tribute was, well, very Radiohead.

Daydreamers- Interesting song, and the video works perfectly with it. I love the audio flourishes and Greenwood's ambient backing.

Thoughts so far? Love or hate? The one thing I have consistently appreciated about this band is they always give me something to think about on the first couple of listens.

• Members

As a kid the iv minor, Jonny's chunk-chunk, and Thom's voice killed me when I heard "Creep"...

Then The Bends made me realize all the things a rock guitar band could do.

OK Computer, of course, changed my life (that was back when record stores would have midnight sales when albums would come out...I was only person in line for Radiohead...everyone else that night was buying new Prodigy album!!)...maybe it didn't change my life but it came out when I needed it and summed life up pretty well.

And Kid A was getting leaked right as leaked music was becoming a thing so it seemed new and fresh in so many different ways.

I've been chasing that dragon w them ever since so I'm hoping this one knocks my socks off and makes me feel young again...the first song I found kinda "meh"...like a caricature of how folks who don't like Radiohead think they sound...plus I like when they go either way out there crazy or super pretty--midway stuff isn't my thing..."Daydreaming," tho, is pretty pretty...can't wait to see how rest of album surprises me tomorrow!

• Members

There are about 4 types of Radiohead songs that appeal to me in particular:

1. The rising surgers: Climbimg the Walls, In Limbo, Sit Down Stand Up, There There, Go To Sleep, Bodysnatchers, Jigsaw Falling Into Place

2. The experimental conceptual: Paranoid Android, Fitter Happier, Everything In Its Right Place, Kid A, National Anthem, Treefingers, Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, Weird Fishes, Bloom, Feral

3. The Classic English Rock melodies: High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Nice Dream, Sulk, Subterranean Homesick Alien, Karma Police, Let Down, How To Disappear Completely, You and Whose Army?, House of Cards, Give Up The Ghost

4. The hypnotic techno-groovers: Optimistic, Idioteque, I Might Be Wrong, Backdrifts, The Gloaming, Where I End and You Begin, 15 Steps, Reckoner, Lotus Flower, Separator

My least favorite type of Radiohead song (which I still enjoy) are what my wife likes to call

5. Songs from the Suicide League: Exit Music, Motion Picture Soundtrack, Pyramid Song, Sail To The Moon, Suck Young Blood, Videotape, Codex

Daydreaming falls into the 5th category for me, though the textures and ambience really set it apart. By the end of the song it sounds more like category 2. The video complements the song perfectly.

Burn The Witch is somewhere between categories 3 and 4. Terrific track.

• Members

So, it's good but it hasn't quite clicked with me exactly. Unfortunately, it feels like I've grown slightly more disillusioned with music as I've gotten older. I can remember laying on my floor and soaking up The King of Limbs, in awe of it. This doesn't give me that, nor has any new album in awhile.

• Members

I listened to it over earbuds today at work. It's a personal sounding album that works much better in the intimacy of closed, cloistered space. I really love it. I'll admit that I hanker for another Bodysnatchers, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, or There There. Ful Stop and Identikit get close. But the album's overall appeal is less adrenaline, and more haunting.

• Members

haven't got it so far, i want a hardcopy, most preferable the cd but this time buying the cd does not include the download aswell :(

shipping will start mid june, so i haven't ordered yet

i started to love in rainbows, once i could see them live playing in rainbows, and there it really started to rock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been a fan boi since The Bends. I've seen them live a ton and several of their albums would make my top 10 list.

That said this album is a bit of a disappointment. Many of the songs are left overs they have had hanging around in one form or another for years.

I get the impression they have all moved on to doing other things and don't put the energy into creating a lot of stuff as Radiohead any longer.

I don't find myself compelled to listen to this album the way most of their others have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Did they fix the forums finally? Talk about a day late and a dollar short... Phil, I hope they've compensated you well for being the night-watchman of this morgue for the last 8 years.

Oh, and Radiowho?

Archived