shootout.fm now with mics, and reverb!

goodhonk

I think that might be somewhat useful with mics, but not as much as it is with pedals. If you have a 4033 and you find it too bright for your voice and hear a 4047 and hear how it's darker and fuller sounding in comparison and realize it might be good for your voice, then that's great... but that's the drawback with such comparisons. They are done with some other sound source, singing different material than what you're working on and probably in a different style, and not the sound source and material that you're working with. I know what a 251 sounds like vs a C12, U47, M49 or U67, and sometimes when you think one is going to be the right mic for the job, another one will surprise you and you'll end up liking it better when you compare the two in context with the rest of the track.

I've even waxed studio vocals with a full PA for monitors and a handheld SM58 as the mic... we had 251's and other high-dollar mics on hand, but that gave us the sound (and more importantly, the vibe and feel) that we were after. IMHO, selecting the right mic for the job on a case by case basis is a big part of audio engineering. Mics are our version of a photographer's lens collection. They're what we "see" (hear) the world through, which is why I like having a variety of mics I know well on hand to audition and select from.

• Members

i agree, nothing like having the real thing in front of you. i was impressed by shootout.fm's options for comparison though. the ability to compare it with vocals and instruments was helpful. not sure i'd buy or dismiss a mic solely on this website though. still fun to compare.

Archived