looking for an OD that preforms the function of an on-the-verge-of-breakup amp.

ninjaaron

• Members

I am the type of guy who likes to get his entire sound out of his board so he can plug into any clean amp and go. I suspect I am not the only one.

Anyway, I have it pretty well sorted, but I want something as a sort of "always on" pedal that's on the verge of breakup to put before my delays and reverbs, but after all other dirt. You know how most fuzz and some distortions don't really sound right unless they're going into a cranked amp? I want the pedal that addresses that. I'm not planning on getting any serious dirt out of the pedal itself. Just something to warm everything else up.

I've been thinking about the Wampler Euphoria, but my budget doesn't like that. Not impossible, but I'd have to wait a bit to get a pedal in that price range.

• Members

You could also try a compressor set up as a boost. That's what I do. I don't really like a overly compressed sound, so I use mine as a boost. It really brings the amp to life at low volumes with just a little break up if I really dig in. I run mine before my dirt. In that scenario, I turn off the comp then use it as a solo boost.

• Members

I posted the same thing over at TGP and got, as you might expect, a LOT of responses. A couple of people recommended pedals that I already have, BD-2 and Rat -- two inexpensive pedals with good dynamic response. I'm going to try and do it with those on very low gain settings and see what happens. If that doesn't work for me, maybe look at some Klones, Timmys, etc., and finally some "amp in a box" pedals if that doesn't work.

• Members
You could also try a compressor set up as a boost. That's what I do. I don't really like a overly compressed sound, so I use mine as a boost. It really brings the amp to life at low volumes with just a little break up if I really dig in. I run mine before my dirt. In that scenario, I turn off the comp then use it as a solo boost.

I kind of use a comp like that too at times. However, I'm specifically looking for something to put after Fuzz and other hairy dirt to smooth out some of the higher order harmonics. Compressor before fuzz isn't necessarily a horrible thing, but it won't achieve what I want.

• Members
A couple of people recommended pedals that I already have, BD-2 and Rat -- two inexpensive pedals with good dynamic response.

Yes the Boss Blues Driver would be a good choice. I use one in front of a SF Princeton Reverb and it is like adding an extra preamp tube to the amplifier. It really gives me a nice bit of drive with a strat when I want to dig in with my fingers and woks great as an "always on" pedal in a variety of different situations.

• Members
I posted the same thing over at TGP and got, as you might expect, a LOT of responses. A couple of people recommended pedals that I already have, BD-2 and Rat -- two inexpensive pedals with good dynamic response. I'm going to try and do it with those on very low gain settings and see what happens. If that doesn't work for me, maybe look at some Klones, Timmys, etc., and finally some "amp in a box" pedals if that doesn't work.

Picking is the ticket. You can use as much gain as you can pick under. Some things that work are the meat of your spare fingers, hammers and pulls of course and you can even strum complete chords if you brush the strings with the long side of the pick.

• Members

Try one of these. You can pick them up on EBay for around $25 all day long to get some actual tube compression. Set to the higher gain level, you can adjust the output level down and the input level up to get the "on the verge" of overdriving you were talking about and gain the pedals up that come before it to get back much of the tone sucking and presence a chain of pedals cause.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP?adpos=1o1&creative=54989553361&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CIXz_uSOgMMCFc1_MgodQj0AhQ

• Members
Try one of these. You can pick them up on EBay for around $25 all day long to get some actual tube compression. Set to the higher gain level, you can adjust the output level down and the input level up to get the "on the verge" of overdriving you were talking about and gain the pedals up that come before it to get back much of the tone sucking and presence a chain of pedals cause. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...Fc1_MgodQj0AhQ
No way! I've recently become anti-tube. It's a technology that needs to die! There's a reason it's only legal to make them in a few backward countries.

Aaron, for a "Klone" on the cheap, don't forget about the EHX Soul Food. I'm not sure if it would be a TGP-approved choice or not, but I think it would be a very god choice for what you're talking about doing. Everyone should own one IMHO. Great pedal, and dirt cheap too.

• Members
Aaron' date=' for a "Klone" on the cheap, don't forget about the EHX Soul Food. I'm not sure if it would be a TGP-approved choice or not, but I think it would be a very god choice for what you're talking about doing. Everyone should own one IMHO. Great pedal, and dirt cheap too.[/Quote] Yeah, that is probably the klone I'd get. Some on TGP like it. As usual, there is much debate. It's a shame it doesn't have a picture of horsey boy on it, but I guess I could always do a stencil. :D

Yeah, that is probably the klone I'd get. Some on TGP like it. As usual, there is much debate. It's a shame it doesn't have a picture of horsey boy on it, but I guess I could always do a stencil. :D

The case is bare except for the top's silkscreened graphics. A refinish probably wouldn't be all that difficult IMO. Got any silver paint? ;)

Archived