We listen with all of our ears

cryptosonic

• Members

Critical listening thread. Let us discuss the things we hear when really listening to records: engineering, instrumentation, whatever.

I'll start. Wild Horses has a subtle pan on the vocals that synchs with modulation on the 12 string part. Take a close listen, it's pretty neat.

Please add moar.p

• Members
Crypto - Can we narrow it down a bit? :)

Aye Phil. Perhaps we could choose a song or record, analyze the living crap out of it, rinse, repeat. For example: I'd love to hear your [engineering] perspective on how everything below 400Hz could get so borked on And Justice for All.

We have to be somewhat limited though, else this become a Beatles hugbox. :p

not sure if these are the sort of things OP is looking for

Exactly this sort of stuff, Honk. Copped riffs and tones, well hidden influences, recording tricks, etc. Phils sig pretty well sums it up:

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

• Members
also i dig gomez adams homage to marcello mastroiani

I have no idea how the resemblance was lost on me. I start a critical listening thread then find out I notice very little, how appropriate.

For what it's worth I use the Gomez avatar because I have crushed on Tish since my penis woke up, and because I {censored}post a bunch his expression implies that I usually shouldn't be taken seriously.

fetch?id=31358445&type=full

Srs thread though..

• Members
Also' date=' I just listened to a bunch of Jimmy Smith and discovered bad assed Hammond toans. I was so lost in the music thirty seconds in that I forgot to take notes and actually listen.[/quote']

i picked up this record solely for the cover art. glad i did though. side 2 is like spy music.

m5rW6HDcJFQ

• Members
i picked up this record solely for the cover art. glad i did though. side 2 is like spy music.

I like his slow stuff but as a sucker for mellow jazz organ it is to be expected. Spy music is a deep seated fetish of mine. Ever check out secret agent radio?

Edit: embed related.

[video=youtube;r5Q95Mcji_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Q95Mcji_4

• Members

I spend allot of time mixing in the studio so the last thing I prefer to do is listen to technical details when I listen to music. I instead visualize the music as though it was actually being performed by the players live. The most I may go into is studying how the musical composition blends parts together. I can listen to any single part and block everything else out. That's more of a habit you acquire learning to play music for so many years learning your parts, but I prefer to hear the music as a whole when I'm not working and just sit back and enjoy it. Some of that comes from being able to play more then one instrument too. I may listen to the entire song as if I was the drummer, or keyboard player to get a completely different perspective on the music.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived