Dedicated reverb unit...

elcastigo

• Members

I'm looking for a dedicated reverb unit for vocals and synths. I've been looking at the Lexicon PCM 91 and Eventide 2016. Both are in a similar dollar range (2 K). Can someone weigh in with opinions on both units? I'm not looking for multieffects - just reverb.

Thanks in advance,

elcastigo

• Members

I have never heard much about Eventide for their reverbs whereas Lexicon is usually the first name that you hear. Are you set on dropping that much? Have you considered looking at say the TC Electronic M-One? It is an amazing reverb unit that can be had for under $500.

Just my 1.5 cents.

• Members

It looks like I might be able to score the Lexicon unit off of Ebay for around 1K (the 2K figure would be for a new unit). Not cheap, but a possibility. I want something that I'll want to keep for awhile.

I've heard that the T.C. may not be as lush as what I need/want, although that may be just snobby B.S. I'm looking at this for final mixes as well as live use.

• Members

While they are mostly multifx units, Yamaha rack processors are supposed to have excellent reverbs.

In related news, I used to have a Magicstomp and its reverbs were phenomenal.

• Members

Originally posted by jdwinger

elcastigo

could you fill us in a little more about what you are looking for in a reverb? both in terms of sound and UI?

like anything eelse, I find that "the best" for one app simply isn't "the best" for another app or aesthetic

Are you looking for decently accurate simulations of acoustic spaces or more of an "idealized" ambience processor?

Are there particular room sizes or other reverb types that you need?

what type of program are you going to be feeding the thing?

are there other specifics you want?

The UI doesn't have to be super simple. I'm willing to dig through a few menus if I have to.

As far as the sound, I'm looking for something "lush" and non-cheesy for synths - something that could possibly be an instrument unto itself. For vocals, I want something that I can use just a touch of - something that can lend a bit of needed space, but it doesn't have to be too extreme. In short, I'm looking for a musical-sounding reverb that has a wide range.

As far as room sizes, I have no particular ideas in this regard.

Thanks again.

• Members

Originally posted by jdwinger

hmmm,

I think at the least you may want to try out the monster rack service to pin dowwn exactly what you want

(I think they have acces to PCM 91 processing)

lush and non-cheesy...with some exception are kind of those words that people use as a synonym for "good" a lot (sort of like "creamy" with overdrive) and they don't often have that hard of a definition attached to them

the "keyboard lush" and "just a touch of ambience" could (they don't have to be by any stretch) be a little at odds which may call for a more fexible solution (ie a few different room types)

but beware of the 'incongruous verb' syndrom where folks give instruments different verb types in the same full program and create a confusing mess of an illusory space

my initial impression is that you aren't that concerned with artifically creating an actual acoustic space? would that be a fair statement?

Yeah, I know, "lush" gets thrown around quite a bit. I mean something that isn't shrill or grainy.

And I'm also aware of of the "incongruous verb" thing, although it's good to be reminded of this. If it helps, the "over the top" reverb that I might use for a synth might be for instrumentals only.

Finally, I'm not too concerned with creating an actual acoustic space - I suppose there are convolution reverbs for that.

I'll check out the Monster Rack - thanks for the advice...

Archived