Vintage MXR chorus!?

richedie

• Members

I have heard this is an outstanding chorus pedal that really enhances the tone.

I have also heard if not modded for true bypass, it could muddy the tone while in bypass. This will probably depend a lot on the amp however.

Anyone use this pedal? Thoughts?

Thanks!

• Members

This is one, but I don't know the actual size....is it that large?

One thing I was told to watch out for is the mud you can get in bypass mode, but apparently there is a mod to resolve this....

Maybe the newer Analog Man Choruses are just as good but with updated circuitry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MXR-Chorus_W0QQitemZ280096340924QQcategoryZ41413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

I saw one in a cabinet once and it looks ok, but I've also heard it's larger than the Flanger. Maybe because I had a big muff in my hand at the time it looked smaller than it is. I've never heard of MXR having a bad bypass, but it would be easy to mod it to true bypass, or to put it in a true bypass loop. The analogman chorus is a EHX small clone clone - they're not the same. The only thing I've heard about the MXR is that it can be noisy. Most modulation pedals from that era were. If you're really anal about noise it's probably best to look elsewhere.

• Members

I am anal about noise. I also have read that true bypass is very overrated and not worth it. Look on Google and you'll link to a lot of good articles about true bypass and that it is a lot of hype.

I wonder what is a good, quiet analog chorus. Do you know much about the old Boss pedals like the CE-2, etc? The Analog Man pedals look very nice. I also thought of the Vidual Sounds H20.

I think a good effect should enhance the sound...not just add to your rig.

• Members

There's a lot of threads in the history here which look at chorus pedals, where you can gain a range of opinions. Just search chorus in the title and you'll find some.

A lot of people like the CE-2. It's warm but the LFO doesn't go very fast. A bit of a one trick pony. The H20 is also an echo, so you're hitting two birds with one stone on that one. It's ok as far as I've heard. Other's to consider would be the Maxon CS-550 or the EHX Small Clone.

• Members

Thanks! I'll check those out. There is also a Maxon 505.

More than anything I think for me it must be quiet and work for the clean passages with my band. We are a modern heavy rock band. In the past, a Boss CH-1 seemed to work well....but if this is my only chorus it would be nice to have top notch and analog.

The CH1s from the 90s were analog.

• Members

The only great noiseless chorus I can vouch for is the TC Electronics Chorus pedal. Great sound, delicate switch. Mine completely stopped working after 3 years... so, reliable? I dunno...i'm probably the only one who this happened to.

Looks great! If I can hold off on dealy for a while...I may grab this.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TCECHORFLAN

• Members

If you can afford the TC you want to be also considering the Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble (Boss CE-1 clone) or the Diamond Halo Chorus. A lot of people on these types of forums favour those units. I've never tried the TC but I've heard its has a rather hi-fi, glassy sort of tone - not rich and lush like the CE-1.

• Members

I've heard of the Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble but can't find much info on it but haven't heard of the Diamond - does this opne have delay or just delay pitch shift?

The most recommended to me seems to be the Analog Man Clone Chorus. In addition to great chorus, I prefer it to be nice and silent.

I also read a lot of good things about the Red Witch Chorus.

Thanks guys.:cool:

• Members

can anyone confirm that the new MXR M-134 Chorus (the one with 5 knobs) is digital?!

in the manual it says "rich sounding, analog chorusing".. which is kinda misleading..

it says "analog chorusing."

how is that misleading :confused:

• Members

it says "analog chorusing."

how is that misleading
:confused:

Maybe they mean, analog-like.. (you know how sometimes manufacturers play on words)

Because I have read somewhere on the net that the 5-knob MXR is digital.

Can't find the article though.

and I can't find anything that confirms that this pedal is Analog.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

hi All-

joshua here - so

the new stereo mxr 134 is analog - spoke w someone at dunlop

tge ORIGINAL VINTAGE 134 -

1- what does manual actually do?

2- i have two both have a high noise floor when engages and both drop tone - switcing out single throw to double throw switch (true bypass) would fix the to e suck issue?

3 how do we aolve the hiss issue when wngaged? add a capacitor to the circuit - hi pass filter? do they all have this issue?

any reason i wouldnt out back my new 134 in the chain?

i was trying to get all hanade pedals except my looper and dl4 in my chain and so for chorus ive been kn an mxr for 15 years!

tha ks -

joshua

trytone1@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...
  • Members

MXR 134 (Vintage) Original

- firstly anyone know where to get a manual for this pedal?

- anyone tell me why the reticon chip is preferred - I have one with and one without - they sound very similar!

A lot of people refer to chorus pedals like the analog man - I feel this isn’t comparable as this pedal the MXR 134 is stereo and The Analog man isnt -

if you truly want to hear the beauty of this pedal or the TCE SCF or RS stereo chorus (I have all three) and have heard (owned but sold):

maxon 505

ibanez cs 505

poly chorus (new green one)

YOU NEED TO PLAY THEOUGH TWO AMPLIFIERS!!!!

theses were made to have that true stereo split.

The MXR is very smooth and warm nut noisy. mine is a ‘79

the TCE is by far the thickest and strongest and quiet but loses it’s umph when followed by another stereo pedal wheareas the mxr still hods its tone. (last in my chain afer the stereo chorus is a stereo delay in and out (Line 6 DL4) mine is an ‘82

I just got the retro so ics V1 #377 but havent tried it.

there is the ehx polychorus reissue in the late 90’s and is by far their best stereo chorus pedal. older ehx arent that grwat for modulation or tone perserving - however their dostortion circuits are divine.

boss, roland, are very mediocre and will split your signal but do t have the richness of the previosuly mentioned pedals.

all of this is very subjective and my opinion which is probably worth ziltch as we all have diffeeent ideas of tone.

I play either an american standard tele (2017) or american standard strat (1987) through two tweed tube blues jr 3’s

i maintain my tubes, pedals and guitars and play thorigh a true APC UPS (one that actually separates he power from the wall from the power thst supplies my gear ensuring safety and the best tone due to ac one can acheive.

I like reading manuals and owning thwm so if k e can hnu these down please forward.

thanks

Joshua

trytone1@yahoo.com

• Members

MXR 134 (Vintage) Original

- firstly anyone know where to get a manual for this pedal?

- anyone tell me why the reticon chip is preferred - I have one with and one without - they sound very similar!

A lot of people refer to chorus pedals like the analog man - I feel this isn’t comparable as this pedal the MXR 134 is stereo and The Analog man isnt -

if you truly want to hear the beauty of this pedal or the TCE SCF or RS stereo chorus (I have all three) and have heard (owned but sold):

maxon 505

ibanez cs 505

poly chorus (new green one)

YOU NEED TO PLAY THEOUGH TWO AMPLIFIERS!!!!

theses were made to have that true stereo split.

The MXR is very smooth and warm nut noisy. mine is a ‘79

the TCE is by far the thickest and strongest and quiet but loses it’s umph when followed by another stereo pedal wheareas the mxr still hods its tone. (last in my chain afer the stereo chorus is a stereo delay in and out (Line 6 DL4) mine is an ‘82

I just got the retro so ics V1 #377 but havent tried it.

there is the ehx polychorus reissue in the late 90’s and is by far their best stereo chorus pedal. older ehx arent that grwat for modulation or tone perserving - however their dostortion circuits are divine.

boss, roland, are very mediocre and will split your signal but do t have the richness of the previosuly mentioned pedals.

all of this is very subjective and my opinion which is probably worth ziltch as we all have diffeeent ideas of tone.

I play either an american standard tele (2017) or american standard strat (1987) through two tweed tube blues jr 3’s

i maintain my tubes, pedals and guitars and play thorigh a true APC UPS (one that actually separates he power from the wall from the power thst supplies my gear ensuring safety and the best tone due to ac one can acheive.

I like reading manuals and owning thwm so if k e can hnu these down please forward.

thanks

Joshua

trytone1@yahoo.com

Archived