Digitech 944

Mad Hatter

• Members

Well, IIRC only the delay was digital (possibly the chorus)

It's not really the same as "Digital multi FX rack" as we think about them today...today they are general purpose DSPs loading different algs (there have even been a couple of devices that were "open architecture" - like the soundart chameleon designed to allow you to roll your own code)

Back then, what you had was, basically a few discrete, dedicated effects circuits crammed into a rack case with some switching

so, they don't differ that much from their "pedal" counterparts

• Members

As I remember (I'm 38, so it's not so much "weird old box" for me, but more "oh, I vaguely remember those") the rest of the unit was analog (though that could be my gin-soaked neurons misfiring :D )-- I think they are rare in the same way that the turbo suzuki of around the same time is rare ;)

Oh hey, I hink they called this "chain reaction" (as in a chain of pedals) so you may want to search on that...see if anyone has one...and write em to ask about em!

talking to folks...ye olde skewl :)

• Members

I looked up chain reaction too, I only found a few people who wanted to buy them or sell them. No reviews here. Thanks. It actually sounds pretty good IMHO. None of the effects are really outstanding but none are bad. The distortion says heavy metal lol, it isn't a bad sounding overdrive though.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I've Owned my 944 since 1986. I can give you the whole rundown on it. It was one of the first "multi effects processors" but it pre-dates the trend toward preset based equipment. It was a mix of mostly analog and some digital effects. It had Distortion, Chorus/Flanger, Delay, and a parametric EQ. The interface is basically a set of knobs for each effect, just like the pedals might have. Mine came with the pedalboard to turn each effect on or off independantly. You could also trigger an "infinite delay" to jam along to, although with a max of 900ms of delay to loop, it was pretty limited. I paid about $750 for the unit over 20 years ago.

This probably sounds pretty sad to all the young folk who use modern preset based modeling equipment. However, this thing had one feature I haven't been able to replace... It has TONE! Really! It's basically the best Metal style distortion pedal ever made, and it has a few other toys you can play with too. I've been using this piece of equipment every day for 22 years. I plug my Jacksons into this rack, out to a Pearce G1, and a chug on the E string will pound you in the chest. It has the smoothest, tightest, and most musical distortion I've ever found. It sounds like Metallica's And Justice album. ...all 8 layers of their guitar sound at once. It's brilliant.

If anybody has one and they want to get rid of it, I'd really like a spare in case mine dies.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I have this unit and I love it. My dad bought it new in the mid 80's. I need to replace the cord that connects the pedal board to the unit. I believe it takes a special cord but I am not sure. Can anyone correct me or point me in a good direction? These things are rare and I can't find very much on them. I have posted a question with the Digitech site and I am waiting on a reply. I am not optomistic. I really want to keep this unit going due to the large amount of sentimental value.

• Members

Ok, maybe it wont be as easy as I thought. I have asked some people at some music stores and they are as clueless as I am. I have read packages and such but can find no indication that it is a 3 circuit cord. Are there any physical features with cord or the jack that would indicate that it is a 3 circuit cord?

• Members

I just noticed that I never posted my impressions of how it sounds.

The delay doesn't do a reverby sound very well, but it does do classic delay pretty well.

The distortion is nice. It's not tube crunch, it's distortion. Can get pretty high gainy, but not exactly liquid. I prefer it best turned all the way down, casue I'm not a big distortion fan. it does have a nice sound to it. I can see where the guy above is coming from.

• Members

I would appreciate that. If you can give me a price (including shipping of course) and postage information I will send the funds to you. Do you prefer a specific payment type (money order,paypal,cashier check or personal check)?

• Members

I found one! I decided to try one more music store and I got lucky. The guy I talked to new exactly what I needed and had one for $7.00. After talking to him, it turns out that the guy had played music with my dad and had known him for many years. Pretty cool. Anyway, thanks for the offer on the cord dcindc and thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I don't think I would have figured this out on my own. You da man!

• 5 months later...

Archived