Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Lounge! Come on in and share your secrets.

• Members

Well, since I ordered the Ultra a few days ago, I think it is fitting to start this new thread to cover all of the Axe-Fx bases. Since I started the Vox Tonelab Lounge a few years ago and that had over 1500 responses, I hope this one follows suit.

Please post all things Axe-Fx related. Clips, pics, patches and tricks.

For those of you who don't know what the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx is, Check out these links and start reading.

Fractal main site

Fractal Forums

The Old Site with tons of great clips

and of course the ever-important axefxwiki

So, what about all of the FAS users in here? Let's hear it!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMG_1359.jpg

(Redundant picture is redundant :lol:)

Length of time owned-~1 year total owning a Fractal Audio Axe FX (had a standard, now have an Ultra)

Like/Dislike/Preferences-I'm loving mine more and more each day I use it and especially each time a new firmware update is issued. It provides the flexibility and endless tonal options a "tweaker" like me needs. A lot of my patches revolve around the CA3+ Rhythm + V30 IR Cab for Rhythms and Leads and the Blackface + Blue 2x12 + E609 for cleans run parallel with different effects on each chain (typically delay and reverb, maybe a little eq) > mixer with a looper at the end of the chain. This allows me to assign one pedal to switch between distorted and clean as well as engaging the looper.

My dislikes would basically only consist of not having a USB interface onboard for recording/patch editing like POD's have. Not sure that they could even add that in future which kinda sucks.

For the future-I wish the controller would come out quicker so I can finally go full midi (I'm only using the pedal inputs at the moment) and would love to see the looper worked on a bit in the future (if thats even possible)

• Members

Good post, man.

For anyone that doesn't know; Cliff posts free firmware updates on the site and they aren't just the typical "level adjusted" bug fixes. These are upgrades like "Added 3 new amp sims and a new effect sim. Improved cab IR's, etc..." absolutley awesome.

• Members

Also, before anyone asks, it apparently loves external pedals and effects.

Very true. I run quite a few effects into mine (as shown) with results on par with running them through a traditional setup.

At some point I'd really like to a Proco Rat > Vox AC30 because if the sims are any sort of representation of the real thing then that's a setup I'd really like (not that it's needed but I'd just like to compare how close they are)

• Members

Also, before anyone asks, it apparently loves external pedals and effects.

Can verify this.

Similarly, am looking forward to a really decent controller, purpose built.

For me, it's the cleans that sound fantastic. I run a matchless chieftain and a bassman (which both sound amazing, identical), with GEQs before and after, bit of reverb, bit of delay, bit of compression. Just GORGEOUS :)

• Members

I'll fill this part out too.

Length of time owned- I got a Standard last October and kept it for about 2 months, then sold. At the time I just felt weird playing through a computer with studio monitors. I had sold off all my pedals and amps to get one, and I started to miss tinkering with pedals so I went back to that.

After getting a little more serious about recording, I found out that I'm not the best at getting good sounds to tape with microphones. I also missed the many different flavors of high gain amp models and how big they sound when recorded direct. I couldn't take it anymore, and ordered another Standard. So I have a few months on the current one.

Like/Dislike/Preferences- I like how I come up with lots of different sounds every time I plug in. It's insane how deep this thing is. I love the touch sensitivity and the feel.

As far as dislikes, some of the more advanced pitchshifting presets that come stock on the Standard, they were actually designed for the Ultra and kinda glitch out because of the smaller memory. Not a big deal, but sometimes I wish I bought the Ultra.

For the future- I'd like to get an FRFR speaker cabinet, but I'm fine at the moment, just doing direct recording. That's why I still have an amp and pedal rig. Best of both worlds.

• Members

I like it but I need to get my act together and get a gigging amp. I keep having to kitshare or borrow my bass players Marshall every time we gig. Not that it's terrible but it's not ideal. As for my home setup I'm happy.

But there's always room for new gear, and this thing looks like a lot of fun.

Archived