Gonna get the Vox Night Train - should I get the matching cab?

stevemcb

• Members

I have no amp at the moment (haven't for nearly a year). The night train is (apart from not having reverb) pretty much my dream amp. And I have a reverb pedal. So it will be mine. Oh yes...

But I need a cab. Preferably a light, 1x12 cab. I've tried the matching vox cab and it sounds good. Not as good as when I tried the NT into a 2x12 Reeves cab, but that cab was many times the price and size of the vox cab. I can't afford to spend more on a cab at the moment than the price of the Vox, and whatever I buy will have to be shipped back to the other side of the world come August. The only other options 1x12's in the price range seem to be the AC4 cab, the Marshall Haze cabs and the cheap Laney cabs. I'm open to suggestions though.

Convince me otherwise, or I'm buying in the morning!

Steve

If I was in your shoes, I'd look into the AC4 cab (V112) and replacing the stock speaker with a Weber Blue Dog. I have not checked one in person to be certain, but the cab's measurements look to be large / deep enough for the bell on an AlNiCo.

IMHO, it looks cooler than the stock Night Train cabinet too.

• Members

I have no amp at the moment (haven't for nearly a year). The night train is (apart from not having reverb) pretty much my dream amp. And I have a reverb pedal. So it will be mine. Oh yes...

But I need a cab. Preferably a light, 1x12 cab. I've tried the matching vox cab and it sounds good. Not as good as when I tried the NT into a 2x12 Reeves cab, but that cab was many times the price and size of the vox cab. I can't afford to spend more on a cab at the moment than the price of the Vox, and whatever I buy will have to be shipped back to the other side of the world come August. The only other options 1x12's in the price range seem to be the AC4 cab, the Marshall Haze cabs and the cheap Laney cabs. I'm open to suggestions though.

Convince me otherwise, or I'm buying in the morning!

Steve

I've yet to play it through the matching cab, but I've run my Night Train through my old Bogner 4x12, a 20th Anniversary Bogner 2x12, a Mesa Stiletto 4x12, and a Marshall Ministack with two 1x10 cabs (Celestions).

It sounded the best through the Bogner 2x12, but even through the Marshall Ministack cabs it sounded {censored}ing awesome. A little reedy on the top end, but really good. The Bogner had two Celestion G12H30's (I think), so I'd recommend looking for a good 2x12 with those. Maybe even a Greenback+G12H30 combination.

• Members

I've got the night train cab, I think it's cool. Now that the speaker has broken in it's surprisingly loud. Doesn't have a lot of thump being small, light and open backed, but it's a great little cab that sings when the amp is cranked.

• Members

I would forget about the Vox cab, and get a nice extension from Avatar or Mojo, and put whatever speaker you like in it. I prefer a nice Alnico, or a V30 for Vox tones. If you use a V30, I would get a closed back or a convertible cab that you can make into a closed back, as they can get a little harsh if you arent careful.

• Members

The Vox Night Train sounds best through a 212 or 412 imo. Check out these guys:

http://www.lopoline.com/home.html

Great cabs at a great price. Well built and a lot of different options for closed/open back, slant, oversized, etc. I have a 212 convertible and it is one of the better cabs I've used. You'll have to choose a speaker though. I prefer alnicos like the Eminence Red Fang or the Jensen Jet Blackbird. Weber's and Celestions are solid but out of my price range.

• Members

Thanks guys. I know there are better cabs out there, but I think that for the moment, the matching cab will do well. Small size and light weight are in its favour too given that I have to ship it. I can always get a nice 2x12 when I get back to NZ.

Cheers,

Steve

• Members

Thanks guys. I know there are better cabs out there, but I think that for the moment, the matching cab will do well. Small size and light weight are in its favour too given that I have to ship it. I can always get a nice 2x12 when I get back to NZ.

Cheers,

Steve

look out at the blackstar artisan 2x12 cab it's pretty interesting IMO and well priced!

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I got the matching 2x12 cab to go with the NT15H because I already have a boogie MK1 reissue and I found (apart from being way too powerful) that the single speaker tends to voice middly and the high end is lost. The anniversary greenbacks they put in are just sublime...for my money as good as it gets....I bought both separately second hand (but in pristine condition ) for under 400 Euros!! The Boogies days are numbered!!

Archived