Guess who's back: Laney Cub 10

comrade_jon

• Members

Yep yep yep back again with another amp question. I know, I know, I'm a twat.

Anyway, I'll keep this one short.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/laney-cub-10-tube-guitar-amp-combo--66836

It's half the price of the Blackstar, with the same size speaker and double the wattage (thus similar/more volume, right?). Ofc no effects loop, but I don't like amp distortion.

What exactly is the catch? Since the Blackstar, as the other guitarist in my band demonstrates (playing only on 2/3 out of 10), is loud enough for practice, and this also has the speaker output, what good reason (other than it doesn't sound as good, but it'd have to sound amazingly worse for me to fork out

• Members

Maybe the blackstar is overpriced

Perhaps.

I don't know if my playing style would go down well with the effects crew, I'm kinda a one-knob guy (insert obvious joke here). So I don't need EQ, don't need a million things, just wanted Class A/B so that I wouldn't get overdrive if I turned it up loud, and a speaker output, and loud enough for practise.

Just any suggestions why it would make more sense to get a VC15 really is what I mean to ask. I even prefer the look of the Cub, although ofc that shouldn't matter. It's light; always nice.

• Members

Depends on the speaker efficiency as well. Maybe the blackstar one's good and all. I haven't tried those cub10 but they look fun!

Tis a Celestion, so it's the real deal (I think...)

I just have this feeling that there is something about it that justifies the ridiculously low price tis all.

In terms of the sounds I wanted, all I wanted was a warm tube amp, and from the few videos I've seen it does the business.

• Members

Also, whilst I'm at it with questions, how does a speaker output that's "8-16 ohms" work? Does it just tell what output the speaker is?

it can't tell no, it just doesn't care.

ie the transformer will accept loads of 16ohms down to 8 ohms.

• Members

More wattage isn't less volume :poke:

Given the same impedance, speakers, cab, etc, more wattage is more volume to a certain point.

And given all this, no matter how incredible the Blackstar speaker is, it would not be louder than the Cub 10?

So now it just leads me to the original question...

Why should I get a VC15 instead of a Cub 10, baring in mind I care little for EQ effects loop etc. etc.

• Members

that cub 10 sounds rad.

it sounds like they are rating the wattage pretty conservatively. depending on the bias method two 6v6's could be 12-15 or even 20-25 watts. maybe they are using a really inefficient bias method or small output transformer and it is only 10 watts.

either way, through the exact same speaker, the laney would be louder than the blackstar.

i think it sounds like a rad purchase for the price. probably is alot like a fender pro jr. but 6v6. which is instantly cooler

• Members

that cub 10 sounds rad.

it sounds like they are rating the wattage pretty conservatively. depending on the bias method two 6v6's could be 12-15 or even 20-25 watts. maybe they are using a really inefficient bias method or small output transformer and it is only 10 watts.

either way, through the exact same speaker, the laney would be louder than the blackstar.

i think it sounds like a rad purchase for the price. probably is alot like a fender pro jr. but 6v6. which is instantly cooler

Sounds like this may be the amp for me. Any last minute additions, in favour of the VC15 instead people?

• Members

Sounds like this may be the amp for me. Any last minute additions, in favour of the VC15 instead people?

ok lets look..

VC15

15 watts of amazingly warm or classic bluesy lead tone powered by matched EL84's and cranked out through its internal 10" speaker. If 10" ain't enough for you, there are two dedicated extension cabinets - the GS112VE and the GS210VE.

Cub10

The CUB 10 is a Class A/B design and produces 10 watts RMS of power from an output section loaded with a pair of 6v6GT's, driven from a pre amp loaded with 2 ECC83's. The pre amp compliment consists of a Tone control, a Volume control and a Gain control, along with a set of Hi & Lo input jacks. The CUB 10 houses a 10" Celestion driver.

VC15....................Cub

15w......................10w

classA...................classA/B

10" Jenson ............10" celestion

EL84's ....................... 6v6

by the looks of that I'd say the VC was gonna be more like a little Vox, the cub more like a little Orange... maybe?

• Members

Edit: THIS IS CLASS A/B AND THE BLACKSTAR IS ONLY CLASS A WTF
:o

One isn't better than the other, it refers to way the amp works and gives a different sound. I'm not gonna go into details but a lot of people think that class A amps sound better than class A/B so there's no 'ONLY' about it.

to me Class A is more Voxy A/B is more Marshally (it's not that simple but it might give you an idea)

• Members

ok lets look..

by the looks of that I'd say the VC was gonna be more like a little Vox, the cub more like a little Orange... maybe?

I love the sound of both, although I inch towards the Vox because of my Radiohead obsession.

I think what I should ask, which I shoulda made more explicit in the op, is less what exactly it sounds like and more like value for money. I really do not mind if it sounds like an Orange or a Vox; what I mean is, will I (this may require people who own/played these amps before) hear the price difference in the sound?

I did some more digging, and the average price for the Cub is about

• Members

Interesting, I never knew this. The thing that annoyed me with the Champion was the fact it was Class A and sounded lovely at 4-6, but for me to get loud enough at band it had to be 12 and then it was just too overdriven.

I love the sound of both, although I inch towards the Vox because of my Radiohead obsession.

I think what I should ask, which I shoulda made more explicit in the op, is less what exactly it sounds like and more like value for money. I really do not mind if it sounds like an Orange or a Vox; what I mean is, will I (this may require people who own/played these amps before) hear the price difference in the sound?

I did some more digging, and the average price for the Cub is about

• Members

it's gonna be a taste thing, I think the quality will be as good but they will probably sound very different.

I'll get the Cub ordered in, but if the sound doesn't work for me, the VC15 shall be the way.

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll report on my findings when all is sorted.

• Members

The cub did sound nice in the demo. Wouldn't mind trying one.

I've a few comments to make that may help or not.

First off, the HT5 is class AB. It's a great little amp with a lot of versatility built in that will allow you to record direct off the amp (2 different cab sims too) as well as going from a good clean to great drive tone across 2 channels. There's also a control that will let you dial between a Fender feel and a Marshall feel. For gigging you'd be advised to run the head into a 2X12 and would still certainly need to mic it for good clean volume. If you want a small amp that will allow you to create a wide range of tones just by adjusting the controls then it's for you. If you want something that will give you great recorded tones direct to computer it's for you. If you want a 'simple' loud amp for cheap then it's not for you.

The VC15 isn't really voxy, but does do some nice chimey clean and driven tones. Having 2 channels is a plus, just like it is for the HT5, but it doesn't really do the great Marshall drive tone like the HT5. It does have a reverb, which is a nice plus if you don't have a pedal and it will be quite a bit louder IF run through an external cab, although it still wouldn't stay truly clean at gig volumes. Personally I'd change the speaker out (probably for an emi Ragin Cajun) to give the amp much more depth and a lot more volume. Buy if you like classic amp tones in a smaller package with a reasonably versatile EQ section and a proper spring reverb.

The Cub 10 sounds like a nice simple amp to play. As the guy in the vid said, think of the EQ as giving bright and dark options, but don't expect any real tone shaping. It will have less sparkle than the VC15 because of the 6V6 valves, but it will probably have a fatter, punchier tone. It's only got one channel, so if you want to change from clean to drive on the fly you'll have to learn to either use the guitar volume control or a pedal. The 10" Celestion speaker is probably nasty (likely a Tube 10) but may sound OK for a while. Buy this if you like a simple amp and do most of your tone shaping from the guitar controls or pedals.

HTH

• Members

The cub did sound nice in the demo. Wouldn't mind trying one.

I've a few comments to make that may help or not.

HTH

Loving the advice there, thanks a lot for it. I like the Blackstar, I was just offering it as an alternative (not one I'd buy myself because the amp tone ISF thing is really not for me), a benchmark, since its an amp I hear weekly what with the band's other guitarist having one.

Well speaker replacement wouldn't be too expensive for the Cub, so I wouldn't complain if I had to do it, the problem I have is that I do greatly prefer that more high end sound (those who knew me from my older posts on amps would know that the original thing I wanted was the Blues Junior, an amp I'd have got a while ago if it wasn't for the lack of speaker output).

But, the videos I've seen haven't really helped the Cub much to see what its cleans can do. The official video is this Fat Strat and the cleans he does clearly isn't very high on the tone knob - love to hear what it's like full tone, and if it can get that lovely high-end sound. If it can, then I'll buy it in a heartbeat, if not looks like I'll have to cut back on the driving lessons and get the VC15 instead =/

It pains me to buy the VC15 because of all the stuff I don't need. As you say, I use pedals and pedals alone - if I want to change EQ, I would buy a pedal rather than worry about whether my amp has it or not (hence the DF-7, because the only thing I ever EQed for was my distortion, and that has EQ on the pedal). The reverb I largely don't need; I was planning on getting the Boss FRV-1 sometime soon, cos I love that pedal. Same too the overdrive/high-gain - got two pedals, and I worship at their feet.

Again thank you fantastically for your advice - with the Cub I get some good quality, excellent value-for-money sounds. If only I could find out how far I can push it to what I want it to do, the more Fender type sound with perhaps the tone knob on full, then it might save me a lot of dosh and encourage me to save up for the Hot Rod in a few years time :p

• 7 years later...

Archived