Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Distortion?? (Amletic dillemma from Italy)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Distortion?? (Amletic dillemma from Italy)

Hi all,
    this is my first post here although I've been following HC for ages!!!

So...first of all...I'm Francesco...guitarist and singer...I'm currently playing in a band and our influences come from BritRock like Stereophonics, Oasis and Feeder...

My actual set-up is (VARIOUS AMPS - since im studyin in UK for logistic issues I cant have one on my own, so it depends from gig to gig, from studio to studio)---> EHX NANO SOUL PREACHER ---> MENATONE KING OF THE BRITAINS (last version, used mainly as overdrive) ---> EHX SMALL CLONE ---> MALEKKO PHASE ---> GIBSON SG '97.

Well, formerly, I had also a distorsion...a s*it distorsion (IMHO) from digitech called HOT HEAD...well it was ok...but not as good as the rest so I decided to sell it to buy a MXR DOUBLE SHOT...but now...I read that this distortion is not s good as I thought...people say that sounds comin from it seems to be the same from all the guitar and there is no dynamic...

I was dramatically disappointed from these reviews cuz it is one of the distortion used by Kelly Jones from Stereophonics and now I'm not so sure I wanna buy it...

Moreover I can't try so many pedals since around here I can find only cheappy Behringer or stuff like this...I tried all the BOSS and DIGITECH distortion...but I can't find one I really like.

Now...what I would like to ask you is: can u suggest me some dist pedals I can hear on youtube? what do u think of these pedal with valves??

Francescooke:

Hi Francesco! welcome to HCFX

you want something quite saturated.. mid to high gain? maybe look at the Proco Rat / Turbo Rat?

i wouldn't bother with valve-distortion pedals. unless they're very expensive they're not that great.. the Blackstar HT-Dual is pretty decent, but it needs it's own power supply and is pretty big.
    Youtube Pedal Vids
    For Sale: (including special delivery in UK)
    ToneFactor Nebular - £40
    Line 6 RotoMachine - £46
    Good deals: Sikor, daysofspeed, joeyowen, melx, WAWbanks, Vince, woolyh, HeartfeltDawn, messiah, T3, dangerous dan, starsteam, Netstar, gae86, theboywho, Mike_Muse_Rage, SG-1, kpd78, AJ Nash, Vintage_freak, percyexpat

Comment

these are my two favorites,but sometimes I just like the sound of my amp when its really loud,and maybe add a treble booster to put it over the top.
      Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

Any help appreciated...I don't wanna go to Amps, as I don't have any condoms

Originally Posted by Greedo

yorga is wise and built like a refrigerator

Comment

Hey Francesco!
        Welcome to HCFX!
        as gambit said I really recommend a rat/rat variant for 90's rock especially brit!
        Gear: Fender American TeleFender Thin-skin JMFender Vibroverb '63 RiToo many pedlolsGreat deals with: Henry_13 (x2), HeartfeltDawn (x2), loobs, theboywho, gambit (x2), ghjhardwick, Used_666 (x2), Loobs, brandnewzo, SG1 too many others I can't remember

Comment

If you can somehow find one cheap, the Hardwire SC-2 distortion is a great dirt pedal with a crunch and saturated mode switch. Bonus - the EQ has both high and low so it's better than most.
          I miss the old Harmony Central...

Comment

Hi Francesco! I recently bought a Boss HM-2 distortion, which is fantastic and I would definitely recommend it to you. I hope you find something great.
            Currently using:
            Ibanez RG1570 (DiMarzio MegaDrive bridge) - Peavey Royal 8
            Board:
            RMC Wizard Wah (2005)
            EHX Small Stone (Big box)
            Boss SD-1 (Modded by PedalMods UK, 3-way gain voicing selection)
            Ernie Ball VP-JR
            Boss DD-3 (1987)
            T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.
            Good dealings with: yourguitarhero, woolyh

Comment

thanks folks,

I'm looking at all of these...and I really love some of them...

But...have anyone ever used a MXR Double Shot??? And what du ya think about it?

i need it a distortion in order to play song like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_2_meh-DLo
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_yB5i6USU

Comment

Working...
              X