Will too much boost damage your amp?

• Members

Earlier this year I was given an old pre amp from the mid sixties. A learned friend of mine has looked at the circuit diagram and told me it is very similar to the old rangemaster. This thing puts out a fixed gain boost of about 38dB. When I run it into my amp it sounds utterly amazing but I'm worried that giving the amp such a hot signal will kill it, (blow valves etc).

So will a 38dB boost kill my amp?

Also has anyone come across a WALgain pre-amp. Made in the UK in Farnham about 1965?

iphonephotos22_06_2010332.jpg

• Members

This is a common question, "what will damage an amp". The only thing I know of is too much current/wattage, which means too much output volume. Will a boost cause that? Depends mostly on the model of amp. Obviously most of the time it just distorts the hell out of the signal and causes no damage.

• Members

You can boost the signal a lot with a guitar. The first valve, however much input it's getting, can only put out its maximum headroom. After that it'll just get more and more distorted, but it'll act as a limiter and hence nothing downstream will be damaged. On the other hand, eventually it'll just sound bad and who wants that? But that stage doesn't come for a long time.

The idea that boosts can break amps comes I think from amps with underspecc'ed transformers or speakers and clean preamp sections designed to push the power section - designed to sound pushed, and in those cases you run the risk of blowing things because components are being pushed to the limit.

• Members

Pretty much what is said above, as long as you've realistic. You can't throw a 100V signal in there and expect it not to blow up.

Supposedly, really old-school amps with contact bias for the preamp tubes can get burnt up with too much input signal. These are preamp tubes with no cathode resistors and a multi-meg grid-to-ground resistor, like TV panel tweeds.

• Members

I blew up a power tube in my Hiwatt by cranking the master and slamming the front end with a AbSynth -> Swollen Pickle -> Fuzz Factory... it was ridiculous.

This.

Also, it depends on the individual amp and whether or not you're already running it hard. But probably no harm, just terrible sounds.

• Members

Boosting the preamp of an amp causes the power amp to put out more power than its capable of?

HOLY {censored} DICKS.

It depends on the speaker rating, especially when it's close or under the amp's wattage. AC15s are usually paired with a single Celestion Blues rated at 15 watts. Sure a boost doesn't push the power amp any harder, but it does increase the chances of speaker failure when pushing it's upper volume limits.

• Members

Yeah even if the amp isn't putting out more than it's rated max, if the signal is pretty much bouncing off the rails the rms signal level will be very high and if the speaker is rated close to the amps rating, if you keep that up for a few hours the speaker can get pretty hot...

I tried to cover that in my well thought out and resonable post above.

• Members

i boosted the hell out of a Marshall MG15.. totally destroyed it.. i think it was turbo rat, muff, and 20db clean boost all cranked.

i'm less scared of massive amounts of boost with decent valve amps, but i'm sure it must be 'damaging' or at least wearing on the valves/circuitry to be pushed that hard all the time?

• Members

I had a Fender Performer 1000 (solid state/ 12AX7 hybrid--Fender's first in that design) that lunched eventually after running a boost that was fairly higher above unity gain. Dunno specifically if it was that that had killed the amp, but I had always wondered if that type of boost was good for that amp.....

Archived