Building a Custom Jazzmaster

• Members

After designing my first custom guitar, I've acquired a taste for it.

I'm loving my Thinline Bullet Esquire

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2666208-Thinking-of-building-a-custom-69-Thinline-someday...&highlight=

...but I'm already dreaming up another custom build. I won't have funds to build this for another couple of years, if ever. I'm still paying off the Thinline. But I can still dream.

Using the offset dressing room and the Paint program, I've been creating a Custom Jazzmaster design.

I want it to be a flat-top with pearloid binding and an f-hole, like the new Japanese Jaguars. Unfortunately, I don't have enough Paint skills to illustrate that well. But the pic below gets the concept somewhere in the ballpark.

Hardtail Strat Chrome Bridge? Yeah I know, that's going to get a lot of "WTF?" But I just don't use tremolo much, I have enough guitars with tremolos, and I want my Jazzmaster to be a thru-body design. I have enough top loader guitars, and my preference is really thru-body anyways.

Filtertrons or TV Jones classics for the pickups? I'm all about the jangle, and the chrome; and I think they look fabulous in the way that they provide a visual continuation of the block inlays on the neck.

I tried using a traditional Jazzmaster pickguard; but after much pondering, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like the look of a Jazzmaster pickguard. Something about it bugs me. It looks awkward to me. On the other hand, I've always loved the way that the Jaguar pickguard is broken up with chrome for the additional electronics, despite the fact that the contours are the same as a traditional Jazzmaster pickguard. YMMV.

Dark Green Metal Flake Finish? What can I say? I like the Retro Glam look more than the Surf look.

5375004899_c081d4734b_b.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm currently building this obscenity!

got the mij Jag cheap on here a few years ago from one of the UKers

I love that design! I saw you post that in this thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2725352-..so-if-you-could-create-a-new-product-for-Fender-Squier-what-would-you-release

It was actually the impetus that got me thinking about my design. :thu:

• Members

Awesome Thomas!

I love the sparkling green and the block inlays on the neck!

Seems really cool
:thu:

Thanks, Gaetano! Yes, I just lost an eBay auction last week for a Japanese Block & Binding Jazzmaster neck :cry: I would've bid higher, but I'm flat broke, and I don't have enough funds to finish out this guitar anytime soon anyway. I hope another one comes up.

• Members

Looks cool.

I just might have to steal that idea of combining the chrome of the jaguar with the pickups and longer scale lenght of the jazzmaster. I don't dislike the look of a regular jazzmaster, but the jag looks just a tiny little cooler impo, thanks to the chrome.

Any idea where in UK/EU I can find parts if I were to finaly build me my own axe? I'd also want a neck with binding and block inlays, but with a more traditional jag/jm look. Meaning no f-holes or sparkly finish, and the normak hardware. Srry to hijack the thrad btw:)

• Members

Me too. I love the late 60s and the 70s, so I guess that's the connection... Glam, Disco, Space Funk, all of that!

Here's my G1628 Sparkle Synchromatic Gretsch.

4949878140_620b8202cb_z.jpg
4949286007_bde829dcfb_b.jpg

:love:

I really want a sparkly finished guitar! sooner or later..

• Members

Looks cool.

I just might have to steal that idea of combining the chrome of the jaguar with the pickups and longer scale lenght of the jazzmaster. I don't dislike the look of a regular jazzmaster, but the jag looks just a tiny little cooler impo, thanks to the chrome.

Any idea where in UK/EU I can find parts if I were to finaly build me my own axe? I'd also want a neck with binding and block inlays, but with a more traditional jag/jm look. Meaning no f-holes or sparkly finish, and the normak hardware. Srry to hijack the thrad btw:)

Not a hijack at all. I was hoping this thread would go this direction :)

See http://guitarmill.com/guitarmill/?page_id=16&shopp_pid=22

Prices are a bit too high for me, but it might be the only alternative to buying the parts on eBay.

Archived