The evolution of one's FX board

caeman

• Members

In the beginning, I was all gung ho about the many different effects. I just had to try them all! That was 11 months ago. :)

I think I have finally calmed down.

I learned that on my guitar board, I didn't want flanger or phaser, it just didn't fit in with my music choices. I learned that I did like fuzz, but not distortion. The allure of transistor-based dirt, the way it felt. Oh, and I like tube-based break up, but no opamps or diodes.

I learned that I loved tremolo, but mainly the soft wave form. I learned that I love dealing with the boutique builders. They are wonderful folks and most are a genuine joy to buy from.

I have gone from lower-cost mass-produced pedals of all sorts, to now getting a tube-based preamp/overdrive pedal in a custom color, my fuzz pedal repainted to match, and have a tube-based bias tremolo tremolo from the same builder and in matching colors. If you had asked me a year ago if I was ever going to spend $300 on a pedal, I would have said no. It has meant selling off a vast quantity of my pedals to afford it, but this whole exercise has gotten me down to the core of "my" sound.

Tube pre-amp

Fuzz

bias tremolo

analog delay

And that's it for guitar.

I don't regret the journey or the money spent. It has been a fun ride. There will certainly be more pedals in the future, but the pace has slowed down mightily.

And I blame all y'all for this. :thu:

• Members

I have 4 tremolos right now. 5th is in the mail.(hopefully) dr. scientist ulimate tremolessence has been the best thus far.

That is a few tremolos! :)

The Tremolessence does sound nice, especially if your a fan of knobs and switches!

6206613454_365b10161b_m.jpg

I am afraid that all of those options would got to waste with me.

• Members

Before I was on here I had a Zvex BoR, Boss PS3, Boss RV3, a RAT2, a dual 'tape echo' (home made by some dude in NSW), a Small Clone and a Fuzz Probe. Pretty similar to what I have now lulz. But when I started playing I only had a RAT2, DD3, CH1 and my dual footswitch for the Vox for trem/reverb. First ever pedal was a DS1 :)

Here's my first taste into "analog" delays (after I borrowed my friends DM3 I was hooked):

jv1ypz.jpg

Good times, good times.

• Members

i dont understand hcfx's love of tremolos
:idk:
they just dont do anything for me. every once in a while but i'd never have a dedicated trem on my board. m9 can do that well enough for me.

and with tap tempo to boot. now i am lucky enough that if i want subtle trem, my dual showman's vibe is pretty sick.

• Members

Congrats, man! Definitely sounds like you've got a quality, usable board. I've been downsizing a lot the last year, and it's definitely nice only having a few pedals to worry about instead of having 20 pedals on a board, and you try to make sure you use all of them at least once during a set, even if you don't really need the pedals. Plus it's a lot easier to trouble shoot 4 pedals and 3 patch cables than it is 20 pedals and 19 patch cables. :lol:

i dont understand hcfx's love of tremolos
:idk:
they just dont do anything for me. every once in a while but i'd never have a dedicated trem on my board. m9 can do that well enough for me.

Same. I could just never get into trem for some reason. It's cool, but I can never get it to sync up right if I turn the depth up, and with the depth down, it's just too subtle normally to do anything for me. :idk: I would like a Tremollescence at some point though, because if any one could make me love an effect, it's Dr. Scientist!

Archived